Are our rivers

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
Reaction score
Before I forget.

Ron, I do not think our rivers are being over run by barbel.

Our rivers are being over run by barbel anglers.

And, when people say things like, "the roach are starting to show again", I think it is partly because people are starting to fish for them more again.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

What about canals? They are semi flowing and have a roaming 'wild' fish population.

Perhaps we could put the excess barbel into canals. Maybe they would thrive.</blockquote>Stop it!! Spiders, Ric Elwin and I + others enjoy fishing stretches of canal for nought - and your membership to Warrington gives you access to miles and miles of the Bridgie and Trent and Mersey...stick em in the canals and"certain groups" would be buying up miles of banking /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif (places stirring spoon back in kitchen drawer)

p.s. found out yesterday that a few barbel have been stocked into the reservoir immediately behind Edgeley Park (Home of Sale Sharks...and some other club that kicks that silly spherical ball)...wonder how long before they travel through the piping that links to the the other two reservoirs in the complex? If they get to the one that does day tickets..what say you we get m'lud to bring Ron over for a days stillwater burble fish /forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

The bad one

Reaction score
And, when people say things like, "the roach are starting to show again", I think it is partly because people are starting to fish for them more again.

No it's not Matt, it's the fact that the EA have stocked them in their 1000s in the upper river and Calder. Those who fish maggot for barbel are catching these stocked fish.

Matt what we can't say with absolute certainty is that some isolatedpopulations of barbel didn't exist in these rivers pre industrial revolution/pollution. Angling historic records really arn't that good.

Reaction score
An interesting debate Phil and Matt - I shall seek advice from marine biologist son re a relevant tome in his book collection which may enlighten me re freshwater fish distribution and impact of geological change. (Like the religious gent are you not a possesser of quals in this direction "bad one"?)

The bad one

Reaction score
Nah Poshers! Just another fish to catch to me when I fish a river. One I fear is beingdone downwrongly, due to many of the failed carp anglers that now fish for them/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

The bad one

Reaction score
Good question! But I think we'd better leave it there as we are bound to upset somebody/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>The bad one wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

No it's not Matt, it's the fact that the EA have stocked them in their 1000s in the upper river and Calder. Those who fish maggot for barbel are catching these stocked fish. </blockquote>

I suppose one compounds the other. How far up the river were they stocked Phil?

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I find myself with very mixed views over the barbel in the Ribble the original illegal stockings were nicked from the Severn so our early barbel all had Brummie accents. Most were dumped in the river round the tickled trout area. For a number of years these fish were hardly noticed. Then as we had big problems with the loss of silver fish those barbel became something of the saviour of coarse fishing in the lower river. Then they started to get bigger and more numerous with added legal stockings.

Now they have become rather more controversial as they have become the current cult fish and this has brought it's own problems.

Where I find myself really unhappy is when I find them having been stocked in the upper reaches of the river around Settle and they are liable to come into conflict with the needs of spawning salmon and trout I find this act downwright sensless as there is generally very little coarse angling done on the upper reaches as the fishing is largely controlled by game angling clubs and far from these clubs becoming more welcoming to coarse anglers it is only likely to harden attitudes.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy catching barbel as much as anyone but I really think that we need to looks askance and the antics of some of the clowns who perform such acts of stupidity

W

whiskerton

<blockquote class=quoteheader>chub angler wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I agree with Matt .(Barbel anglers) not being funny.</blockquote>
Why don't you look in on the chub thread?

chub angler

Reaction score
Not to many Barbelto manypeople fishing for themandIM not trying to p anyone off Whiskerton we dont have a forum topic on just chub.

The bad one

Reaction score
Matt no higher than Mitton as I understand it.

Alan you're quite right, barbel shouldn't have legs with wheels to gain access to the upper river...........****heads!!!!!!!

Saving grace is the upper trout zone doesn't suit them, too thin on aquatic biomassand because they don't fear wandering, they'll look for pastures more congenial and wander off down river.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well I have waited to see what others have had to say. But I will tell you this. On some parts of the River Lea you will catch barbel and nothing else. yet only 3 years ago you would catch chub, perch, Roach, gudgeon, the odd dace and the odd barbel

Now it is Barbel or nothing, this season I have spoken to many of the anglers fishing there, not one roach or perch all season, yet down stream a mile, anglers are having a field day. It seems the Barbel have pushed the others out, lets hope things balance out soon.

I do like catching barbel myself, but when your after other species and get nothing but barbel, it makes you wonder, are we doing the right thing.

Towards the end of the 80's and ealy 90's, the same thing happened at Adams Mill, it hasn't returned back to the way it was, but then what river has.

It's not just down to Barbel, I think the rivers are to clear now, and am sure this is affecting the spawning of fish, just my view, but the rivers in the 70's were full of fish and the water alwaysseemed to havea little colour in it.

The bad one

Reaction score
"the right balance of fish is what some rivers need."With respect and how is that to be achieved given the cyclical nature of a given species?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Phil,

The balance may be better if we did not stock fish of any species where there should not be. As Anglers we are a funny crowd, we want to catch fish, but then we don't want certain species, some don't want carp, barbel, or Zeds.

The fact is we just have to get on with it, but at some time we also have to stop and look at what we are doing by adding fish to our waters, no matter what species.