Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are our rivers

Let's go back a bit further Phil.

First the earth cooled.....
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Before I forget.

Ron, I do not think our rivers are being over run by barbel.

Our rivers are being over run by barbel anglers.

And, when people say things like, &quot;the roach are starting to show again&quot;, I think it is partly because people are starting to fish for them more again.

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

What about canals? They are semi flowing and have a roaming 'wild' fish population.

Perhaps we could put the excess barbel into canals. Maybe they would thrive.</blockquote>Stop it!! Spiders, Ric Elwin and I + others enjoy fishing stretches of canal for nought - and your membership to Warrington gives you access to miles and miles of the Bridgie and Trent and Mersey...stick em in the canals and&quot;certain groups&quot; would be buying up miles of banking [img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img] (places stirring spoon back in kitchen drawer)

p.s. found out yesterday that a few barbel have been stocked into the reservoir immediately behind Edgeley Park (Home of Sale Sharks...and some other club that kicks that silly spherical ball)...wonder how long before they travel through the piping that links to the the other two reservoirs in the complex? If they get to the one that does day tickets..what say you we get m'lud to bring Ron over for a days stillwater burble fish [img]/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif[/img]
    He is every other inch a gentleman.

Blog Entries

And, when people say things like, &quot;the roach are starting to show again&quot;, I think it is partly because people are starting to fish for them more again.

No it's not Matt, it's the fact that the EA have stocked them in their 1000s in the upper river and Calder. Those who fish maggot for barbel are catching these stocked fish.

Matt what we can't say with absolute certainty is that some isolatedpopulations of barbel didn't exist in these rivers pre industrial revolution/pollution. Angling historic records really arn't that good.

An interesting debate Phil and Matt - I shall seek advice from marine biologist son re a relevant tome in his book collection which may enlighten me re freshwater fish distribution and impact of geological change. (Like the religious gent are you not a possesser of quals in this direction &quot;bad one&quot;?)

Blog Entries

Nah Poshers! Just another fish to catch to me when I fish a river. One I fear is beingdone downwrongly, due to many of the failed carp anglers that now fish for them[img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img]

Is it possible for ratfish anglers to fail?[img]/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif[/img][img]/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif[/img]

Blog Entries

Good question! But I think we'd better leave it there as we are bound to upset somebody[img]/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]

<blockquote class=quoteheader>The bad one wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

No it's not Matt, it's the fact that the EA have stocked them in their 1000s in the upper river and Calder. Those who fish maggot for barbel are catching these stocked fish. </blockquote>

I suppose one compounds the other. How far up the river were they stocked Phil?

I find myself with very mixed views over the barbel in the Ribble the original illegal stockings were nicked from the Severn so our early barbel all had Brummie accents. Most were dumped in the river round the tickled trout area. For a number of years these fish were hardly noticed. Then as we had big problems with the loss of silver fish those barbel became something of the saviour of coarse fishing in the lower river. Then they started to get bigger and more numerous with added legal stockings.

Now they have become rather more controversial as they have become the current cult fish and this has brought it's own problems.

Where I find myself really unhappy is when I find them having been stocked in the upper reaches of the river around Settle and they are liable to come into conflict with the needs of spawning salmon and trout I find this act downwright sensless as there is generally very little coarse angling done on the upper reaches as the fishing is largely controlled by game angling clubs and far from these clubs becoming more welcoming to coarse anglers it is only likely to harden attitudes.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy catching barbel as much as anyone but I really think that we need to looks askance and the antics of some of the clowns who perform such acts of stupidity

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast