Running or fixed lead setup

jcs

Reaction score
Which do you think is better when barbel fishing on the river's.

Running lead or Fixed lead (ie Korda shafety Clip)

Have tried both in the past and do not find much difference,what's your point's of veiw on this topic./forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
This toopic as been done a few times. I would do a search.

Personaly a running rig just so the fish never tows anything but line if the unthinkable happens and i part company with the fish.

chub angler

Reaction score
I use a semi fixed lead stoped by a bead and two float stops unless its in flood.

chub angler

Reaction score
I tend not to fish the winter floods. As I thinkI have more luck waiting for it to settle down and then go. But for summer floods. I use starting at the hook a size 6 hair rigged a 8inch hooklength of 12lb line a size8 swivel a tulip bead and 1ft of rig tubing another bead slid on to the tubinga4oz gripper lead stopped by 2 rubberbeads and a15lb mainline. for bait I use a oil soaked donkey choker (21mm/22mm Halibut pellet) hope this makes sense. It works for me but im sure other people use different rigs.

Ace of Spades

Reaction score
Thanks Chub, sounds complicated but i'm sure it's not when i get the chance to try tying it. Why are the pellets called donkey chokers?

D

Dave Burr

I don't see the need for a fixed lead for barbel, I have certainly had no problem hooking them on a standard running outfit.

The trouble with a fixed or rather a semi-fixed outfit, is that there is a real danger that the fish may become tethered should a break occur up the line. The standard lead clip used on carp gear is usually set too tight for a barbel to be able to release it.

The other advantage of a running set up is that you can detect more activity around your bait, those tell tail pulls that fish are active are often missed when you have a fixed set up.

Ace of Spades

If you want some diagrams of rigs let me know and I will pm details some to youor send a couple through the post to get you started.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Running rig -note that it doesn't indicate bites as the lead has moved long before you know about it. Use a paperclip to attach your lead to the swivel. Keep your rod down on a smaller river. Best keep everything in this type of fishing simple, you'll lose kit and at worst, fish.

Ace of Spades

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Dave Burr wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I don't see the need for a fixed lead for barbel, I have certainly had no problem hooking them on a standard running outfit.

The trouble with a fixed or rather a semi-fixed outfit, is that there is a real danger that the fish may become tethered should a break occur up the line. The standard lead clip used on carp gear is usually set too tight for a barbel to be able to release it.

The other advantage of a running set up is that you can detect more activity around your bait, those tell tail pulls that fish are active are often missed when you have a fixed set up.

Ace of Spades

If you want some diagrams of rigs let me know and I will pm details some to youor send a couple through the post to get you started.</blockquote>
Thanks Dave, would be much appreciated.

marie marling

Reaction score
stalking_ball_rig_2.jpg

I like using C.A.s stalking ball rig when im barbeling i tie the rig above but i use stronger line.

marie marling

Reaction score
if your using it with maggots you snip the hair off the hook. But you can superglue 4 casters to the hair instead of pellets.

chub angler

Reaction score
Ace I was explaining my flood rig.The tubing is to help hold the line down away from leaves and sticks and things.And if the main line snaps itwill pull through the tubing so the barbel doesn't have to drag a lead around. But I haven't had the line go whenIve been using it .For my normal barbeling I use a semi fixed set up.Which isthe same asthe rig Marie has posted.So Ican see the little plucks and pulls you get when the fish examineyour bait As Dave said. Paul I like your Idea about Paper clips do you use thecoloured ones.

Ace of Spades

Reaction score
Thanks chub, sorry if i misunderstood, my brain is all consumed with fishing info at the moment and i'm sure it's going to burst. I will take note of the rig Marie posted.

Apologies again if i have missed the point brain very sloooow now.

chub angler

Reaction score
OK Ace. Dave can you send me some Rigs pleaseI'm always after new Ideas.

D

Dave Burr

Okay, rather than send out individual rigs I've put a few words and pictures together that I will submit to the web site and hopefully link in to this thread.

I hope that it proves helpful.