gutted

Andy Fielder

Reaction score
well it had to happen one day, i suppose.

Tonight, evening session on my local river; started off with a nice 6lb barbel before it got dark - looking promising. Move on to a new swim, cast out, sit back. Two hours later, thinks, 'I'll pack up at midnight - what's the time now?' Looks at mobile phone to check time - blink of an eye, rod's had a three foot twitch, and its gone in! Drop phone, dive for disappearing cork handle, bash knees on stone, just catch rod and lift. Clutch screams in protest, rod completely bent double - OMG! Straight under a willow, in through the bankside brambles. Careful, careful, don't apply too much pressure... line frees, fish comes out and goes full tilt upstream, straight past me. Head torch is on full, and there it is, illuminated in all its bronze and golden splendour, right on the surface, the mother of all barbel !! F*&%* !!

the hook pulls, and the line falls slack....

I'm sat at home now, 1am, drinking copious amounts of cheapo Sainsbury's lager, and reflecting on what might have been. For the first time in my (very long) fishing 'career', I am absolutely devastated. Without doubt, that barbel would probably have been a lifetime best for me. A new PB ? goes without saying.. but it wasn't to be. So, what now?

Anybody else out there shared in the 'experience'? Painful, isn't it.

sorry about that, folks, just had to get it off my chest. Now, where's that bottle opener?

Last edited:

klik2change

Reaction score
I am with you all the way there... that is a truly awful experience, described with real feeling. Really bad luck, but never mind, think positive, better next time... you will feel better if you can trace the reason/s why it happened.

Reaction score
Been there many a time, not just with barbel, but one with a roach that must have been 2.5 lbs + (came off about 3 ft from the net.) Also lost 30 lb plus carp.

Ryan

Get on the bank as soon as possible and you will soon resign it to memory.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Gutted for you Andy .I think alot of anglers know how you feel

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
So, what now?

Well, get back there tonight and catch the blighter this time around.

Seriously, this happens to us all from time to time, so put it down to experience . . . . . when night fishing like that, especially for Barbel, I use a cup-type back rest with an elastic band wrapped aroud it. That way the butt never leaves the rest, but it is easy enough to strike when necessary, and the band doesn't impede the strike and you can pull the rod away from the rest.

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me on the Teme a couple of weeks back.

I had been touch legering all day and put the rod down briefly to check a message on my phone.

Next thing I knew the rod was hurtling forward, I sprang up and managed to grab the last inch of the rod butt.

By which time the barbel had careered through a snag and sure enough... that sickening slackness signalled a lost fish.

To cap it all as I sprang up I catapulted my phone into the water.

Lost fish, lost phone...

I could have taken the phone loss if I'd landed the fish.

Since then if I have a bait in the water and want to do something else, I keep one hand on the rod.

Don't dwell matey, get out there and catch another monster!

Last edited:

Andy Fielder

Reaction score
thanks for the messages, folks. I did as was suggested and went back last night. Sadly, but not surprisingly, there was to be no second attempt at getting it right. Oh well, maybe another day....

might try a bit of carp fishing instead!