River Wye Barbel Day Ticket

tdogg

Reaction score
Planning a few trips to the river wye for barbel all I need now is some hot tips on day ticket or free pegs, any pointers from local barbel hunters would be of great help

Thanks

Glenn

The Piker

Reaction score
Pop in to Woodys tackle shop in Hereford,he will sell you a day ticket and point you in the right direction for some good barbel swims..

Alternatively fish at Ross,you can start fishing and a bailif will come along and sell you a day ticket..

The pegs run from the road bridge up river to the pub..

Also some good fish come from Foy,day tickets from a farm house.Ask locals when you get to foy they will point you to the farm a bit hard to find first time..:)

tdogg

Reaction score
I was going to phone him today, thank a lot for the tips.
Iv done this before on the serven, just turn up looking at the river scratching my head and full of doubt.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I got fleeced for Wye daytickets recently.
I bought them in the bike shop near the bridge. £20 for two adults (£10 each) and £5 for a junior!!!!

Seeing as I didn't know the area and had travelled from Bristol I had no choice but to pay!

Does the Throop still charge £8 a day?

£10 a day is a rip off, the full season ticket costs £35. If I visit again I won't be buying a day ticket in advance!

"Day ticket on the bank aint it mate???"

The Piker

Reaction score
Hi Steve,what part of the river was that on mate..

Never come across that one,and i have fished the Wye extensively...

Ross is 6 quid,if the bailif comes around..

The newport stretch which on which i am a bailif is 7 quid,but we only sell day tickets if the person has travelled a long way.

This is because we have recently changed the rules to no day tickets, season only..

We have had trouble with eastern europeans,litter ect. Hence no day tickets except genuine case's of people still thinking they can pay on the bank..

This is at the bailif's discretion..

Let me know if you are planning a trip on the Wye mate..

tdogg

Reaction score
Just boiling up my hemp as we I type, Im coming down from Stockport, Cheshire.

My friend phoned woodys, but he's not at his shop till 8-30am and I would rather be on the bank for 6am

Looked at Foy on google maps and I saw a place called "Hole in the wall" looks very very nice, looks like you can see depth in the river on google maps.

map link to hole in the wall

POLO

Reaction score
Hey up Piker! I am very interested in coming down from Lancashire to fish the Wye and would appreciate if you could pass on a post code or map reference where day tickets are available.

Thanks

The Piker

Reaction score
Polo a good place to start is Ross on wye,easy to find at the end of the m50 off the m5 for you uuuup north...

Cross the road bridge which leads into Ross.

Park up and fish,bailifs come round to sell day tickets..Barbel too doubles and

Some very big carp,chub ect..

POLO

Reaction score
Wye

Thanks Piker, I would probablt comw down for a couple of days so any further info on camp sites around that way?

tdogg

Reaction score
Off the the river wye tomos for barbel, god knows where we will end up, but I'll post photos of anything we catch

tdogg

Reaction score
had a nice first trip to wye yesterday, only the 1 and lost 2 for me but 12 barbel came out within 3 pegs in 5 hours.
I had biggest ;)

Last edited:

The Piker

Reaction score
Well done Glen00,looks like Ross mate..

Polo head for Holme Lacy,there is a camping site next to the river..

I think it is about a tenner a night,this includes the fishing..

Nice site,and safe..Plus a pub just up the road........Sound..:w

tdogg

Reaction score
It was just down the roadfrom woodys shop in hereford, river was very shallow and clear but we found a deep run, it was about 5 1/2 foot in front on me and I could see leaves on the bottom.

The swim was full of fish, dace, chub and others, the water was boiling every time I put the feeder in then the tips were going mad, Im sure I missed lots of barbel bites

I had 2 dace on 21mm pellet?

Saw the biggest pike in my life, bailiff said it might have been the 32lbs'er :eek:

The Piker

Reaction score
Oh yes i can see now...Fished it for pike winter time..

Looks very different then...

We need rain...:w

tonyb

Reaction score
thats brill Glenn, ot think i used to live 20mins away from there, if only i had re-started fishing again a couple of years ago. i bet your well chuffed.