Fluorocarbon or invisi-braid

tonyb

Reaction score
Which is the best hooklength material for Barbel, Fluorocarbon or braid?

Reaction score
Both

Different anglers have their own preferences, but I and others have found both are effective in different situations.

What 'size' river are you fishing?

On teh Ribble for example, when the river is 'up' and coloured or at night I use Kryston Black Mantis 15lb. Its a coated braid and I strip back the last 3" of coating near the hook to make it more supple. I tend to fish it about 2ft long.

However, in the day in bright conditions, especially if the river is low and clear then I use Kryston Inconito Fluorocarbon. 2 to 5ft long. You can pin it down with a couple of blobs of Heavy metal extra to prevent the line spooking the fish in clear conditions.

If you use fluoro then you MUST get your knots right - never use a grinner knot it will weaken it significantly. Use either a palomar or a 4 turn half blood knot.

Hope that helps

tonyb

Reaction score
yep, that definately helps Mr CC. Im fishing the Goyt which is very shallow and clear so your advice is brill, thanks mate. I was looking at either the Spiderwire Fluorocarbon or the Spiderwire Invisi-braid which is meant to have the same diameter as 1-2lb line at 10lb breaking strain.

That could also explain why ive had loads of blanks as ive been using Fox sink braid which is quite thick and dark.

---------- Post added at 09:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

oh and thanks for the knot tip, i always use the grinner knot so thats useful to know.

Reaction score
Why the spiderwire?

Incognito is very supple and comes off the spool pretty straight and only requires a slight stretch across the knee. However, many of the other fluoros on the market come off the spool like a slinky. These coils don't hug the river bed and can spook the fish when they brush against it.

Reaction score
The palomar is recommended by Kryston along with the 4 turn half blood knot.

I have written before on here of some of my personal experiences of using fluoro:

eg

One time I was fishing a very flooded Ribble. I was using a 6 oz feeder and the hook lenght was 11lb Incognito + a 3" length of Mantis dark. The incognito was tied to the swivels using a palomar knot.

Eventually my hook became snagged and I had to pull for a break. I was using 15lb mainline. After some strenuous pulling my tackle came free.

But the line hadn't broken as I expected.

The size 8 ESP rpator T3 hook had pretty much straightened. These are very strong hooks.

The 11lb hook length didn't break and the knots did not break.

I have 100% confidnece in this line with the palomar knot.

tonyb

Reaction score
Why the spiderwire?

Incognito is very supple and comes off the spool pretty straight and only requires a slight stretch across the knee. However, many of the other fluoros on the market come off the spool like a slinky. These coils don't hug the river bed and can spook the fish when they brush against it.

I was looking at spiderwire after reading an article in a fishing mag by Len arbery, its what he uses apparantly, because it has ultra-thin diameter. The 10lb breaking strain is meant to have the same diameter as 1lb mono.

Reaction score
The 10lb breaking strain is meant to have the same diameter as 1lb mono.

And what happens when a barbel takes the line round and abrasive/sharp rock?

If it is very thin then there isn't much material to withstand abrasion damage. One small nick and it's gone!

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

tony

Another thing. I just looked at teh spec for the spiderwire. I may be wrong, but it appears to me that both the fluoro and invisibraid are designed to be mainlines not hook lengths.

Mainline braid should not be used as a hook length - it is woven too tight and thin and can cut a fish like cheese wire.

Take a look at THIS ARTICLE

tonyb

Reaction score
does it really make that much difference though? Incognito's 11lb strain is meant to have 0.3mm diameter compared to the 0.2mm of spiderwire, is that 0.1mm going to make that much difference when pulled over sharp rocks or boulders. I understand where your coming from though.

Your not the first person to reccommend Incognito to me though so maybe i will take a look at that one.

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

ah, good job i asked. Incognito it is then, thanks for that Mr CC, i appreciate it.

Rich P

Reaction score
Hi TonyB,

I fish the Goyt, and use coated braid (most of the time) in a similar set up to that described by Mr CC (stripped near the hook). I've not really caught with fluoro, so I've no confidence in it. Also I reckon the Goyt isn't that clear, albeit shallow.

Cheers,

Rich

tonyb

Reaction score
where abouts on the Goyt do you fish RichP? I fish at Offerton weir and i think its clear there, cant comment on any other stretches but i can certainly see the river bed for three-quarters of the way across.

have you had many Barbel out of the Goyt? Im getting the impression from people ive spoken too that its not a prolific river.

tdogg

Reaction score
have you had anything nice from the Offerton weir, everytime go go to fish the goyt on the pegs I want they are taken :mad:

The bad one

Reaction score
T3 Raptors on the Ribble Mr Croker? That company of your must be making you some money to give them away to it? :0)

A

alan whittington

Tony, i believe the spiderwire braid in the b.s. you mention will cut more than the 'incognito' you mention as the braid acts like a saw blade in lower diameters and do you think its going to be necessary to fish so fine to get a bite,i think not,there have been some bad cases of damage on barbel so it deserves careful consideration on their behalf.

tonyb

Reaction score
have you had anything nice from the Offerton weir, everytime go go to fish the goyt on the pegs I want they are taken :mad:

Nope, nothing at all to be honest. ive fished it around 5times and not had a bite, not from BArbel anyway, thats why i was asking you to be honest. I had a couple of Trout last week to 3lb but thats all. Everyone ive spoken too on the banks reckon they have caught Barbel, it seems to be a water where there arent that many Barbel but the few there are, are big.

Cheers Alan, ive bought the Incognito now. People have mentioned the cheese wire effect so thats why ive decided against buying the spiderwire.

A

alan whittington

Thing is Tony i think Len Arbery generally uses 'spiderwire' in heavier b.s. than 11lb as from what i read he uses it 'straight through',other hook braids are a little thicker but still thinner than standard mono but still get outfished by the mono at times,just have to way up the pros and cons and toss the coin and give it a go,tight lines mate hope you guessed right for your river.:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use snakebite coated braid for the river when barbel fishing in coloured water, when it's up and running at speed as it doesn't tangle in the current. In slower water conditions I like drennan sink braid. I've never had any prob's with either of them.