Centre pin Reels

jcs

Reaction score
Hi All
Thinking of getting a Centre pin reel for Barbel fishing and trotting from time to time.
Was looking at the JW Young Bob James Centerpin Reel - Model Y2080
Anyone got one and what do you think of it.
Or would you go for a different model and make all together.

Nigel (Manu31999)

Merry Chrismas and a Barbel filled New Year.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi All
Thinking of get a Centre pin reel for Barbel fishing and trotting from time to time.
Was looking at the JW Young Bob James Centerpin Reel - Model Y2080
Anyone got one and what do you think of it.
Or would you go for a different model and make all together.

Nigel (Manu31999)

Merry Chrismas and a Barbel filled New Year.

I've got one and there great for trotting. I think I prefer my fixed spool reels for barbel fishing though....infact I know I do, unless I'm trotting for them of course .

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Good stuff, as a lapsed collector of pin's. I enjoyed Dave's piece very much, and agree with his conclusions. At the peak of my passion for pin's, I owned over a hundred and fifty. Including eleven ''Coxon Ariels'', and occasionally fished with them.

Happy day's !!! :w

dezza

Reaction score
I have always had a soft spot for centre-pin reels. I have owned a whole variety of them in my time from old wooded starbacks to John Wilson Heritage classics.

If I had unlimited finances, I would have a Chris Lythe centre-pin, they are the best around these days.

I still like to use a centrepin today, especially when stret pegging on a river for roach - one of the deadliest methods of all.

---------- Post added at 04:54 ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 ----------

I'll bet most of you are not aware that our MacWallet now possesses a very fancy centre-pin reel indeed.

It's a Hardy and it must have cost him the earth.

What it must be to have a titanic wallet!

Dave Burr

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to own a Chris Lythe and I have to say it is superb.

But, for those on a budget, I recently had a play with a Fred Crouch Jet which is an aerial copy. Obviously, it is not quite as good as the original or the Chris Lythe but is excellent value for money and will last the owner a lifetime. They also do a 3 3/4" trotting version that I am considering for those smaller, grayling and roach rivers.

These are genuine pins, not bearing models and really good value at £125.00

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I have a Shakespeare Aerial Centrepin, I've had it since '98 or there abouts (they were made by Youngs as a limited edition, I think for the millennium), runs very smoothly and starts turning on a No4 shot brilliant trotting reel.

jcs

Reaction score
Thank's for all your replie's lads.

I took the Plunge and went for a Arnold Kingpin made by K.W.Eng .for Poole in Dorset.
Lovely pin and went home a Happy Angler,now to try and master the pin in the New Year.

Nigel (manu31999)

Happy Chrismas And New Year to you All . :D

paul4

Reaction score
As Dave Burr wrote, BUT :)

actually the prices are as follows :

Aerial Jet, 4.5", narrow or wide drum, black, £130 incl (recorded) delivery

Truepin Trotter, 3.75", narrow or wide drum, limited edition, red
includes hardwood box, £165 incl (recorded) delivery

Truepin Trotter, 3.75", narrow or wide drum, "standard" edition, black or natural
£155 incl (recorded) delivery - maybe still on special Xmas period offer at £135

paul4

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank's for all your replie's lads.

I took the Plunge and went for a Arnold Kingpin made by K.W.Eng .for Poole in Dorset.
Lovely pin and went home a Happy Angler,now to try and master the pin in the New Year.

Nigel (manu31999)

Happy Chrismas And New Year to you All . :D

They look very nice reels indeed !

Keith M

Reaction score
I have been using the Okuma Sheffield for the past year and I've found it a superb centrepin for long-trotting on small rivers and streams as well as for trundling for Barbel on the bottom or for stalking Carp in the margins, plus you can buy spare bearings and spare spools for the Sheffield.
So unless you have a bottomless pocket, I would Thoroughly recommend it. A superb workhorse and not costing the world.
FourthBarbel2_9lb3oz.jpg

Last edited:

Rickrod

Reaction score
Anyone useing one of them okuma trents............Any good ?

Keith M

Reaction score
I may be wrong but someone told me that the Okuma Trent was originally designed for the american market who seem to like drags on their pins;
I prefer using simple thumb pressure on the side of the spool and don't find a use for a star drag (which is included on the Okuma Trent) especially when trotting a light float down a stream and I suspect the extra spool weight could possibly add extra intertia when trotting small floats.

As well as the Sheffield; the 'Okuma Aventa Pro' also has a lot of devotees for long-trotting with lighter floats.

The Okuma Kennet is also a good centrepin for long-trotting however it has a line guard which I think is non removeable and can get in the way especially when using the Wallis cast.

Another centrePin that I have heard some good things about for long-trotting is the 'AnglersNet' centrepin which has a slightly narrower spool.

Last edited:

bobbyf77

Reaction score
I have an allcocks match aerial which is brilliant for river fishing they can be easily obtained of ebay and other auction sites

Regards

Mitchellman

R

Royffey

i have a bob james 2080 model, a youngs rapidex, a greys bewick, all great reels for different uses.

however the bob james is by far the most suited to barbel fishing and a real joy to use... another bonus for me is the position of the check on the reel means you dont have to mess about turning the knob on the reverse of the reel as it is a lever easily operated by the fore finger one handed as you pick up the rod, thus allowing you to turn off the check easily and quickly before other anglers are aware your into a fish...

pricy i know but defo worth the money for me anyway..