Hertfordshire Rivers

POLO

Reaction score
Hi All! I am down in the vacinity of Hertfordshire on the 17th June for a couple of days through work. So whilst I was down there I was wondering which rivers I could fish and that are either day ticket or free fishng. I am around Hatfield presummeably right on the Colne. All help appreciated.

Cakey

Reaction score
none......................there is a total ban on northerners fishing our rivers :wh

Keith M

Reaction score
You could fish a day ticket on a short stretch of the Lea which runs alongside Welwyn Garden City Lake (next to Hatfield and the A1) but the best swims are away from the road end where it deepens a bit, but most of the other good Lea stretches around Hatfield are owned by clubs which don't sell day tickets.

And don't mention you are a northerner :wh.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
As keith says the Lea at welwyn is your best bet. The colne is very small in the upper reaches , the best bits are further south around watford to uxbridge but nearly all the accessible parts are private fishing.
The lake is called Stanbrough lake and the Lea runs alongside it.
If you really want to fish the colne contact me through this site and I will get you a guest ticket. It would mean driving 15 odd miles down from Hatfield.

POLO

Reaction score
Love the answer Cakey.......Just let me know when you come up North and i'll show some great fishing with big Chub and Barbel hang out.
Peter that's great I'll PM you to to confirm. Much appreciated.

Cakey

Reaction score
get yourself down to Broxbourne ,find your way to Broxbourne Mill and ask for "the conkers"
its 5 mins from hatfield and chance of a 9lb chub
why would I want to go north for smaller fish ?................:wh

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Poach 'em Polo you will likely be the only one on there anyway. :wh

London is a bit like the PAAS they don't cater for the visitor even though most of the rivers aren't often fished, now if you went to the Midlands you could get day tickets for most of the Severn, Warks Avon, Teme and many stretches of the Wye but Midland anglers are a friendly lot who like to share their fishing. :p

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Graham mate, this thread is about Hertfordshire not London. Tongue in cheek comment maybe, but poaching is not the best way to go is it. We have a big problem with poachers on the colne. Both clubs that I belong to on the colne are very thorough in their bailliffing, both day and night. One has a waiting list to join, the other has a huge membership.
As for not catering for guests, I have just offered polo a guest ticket,which will cost me a tenner,and cakey has tipped Broxbourne . The river Gade is all free fishing or day ticket, the chess is a trout stream. The Lea has some free bits and day ticket bits.
If you want to fish in London the Thames is free fishing from Windsor (Berkshire) to the estuary,as is the G.U. canal,and the large reservoirs do day tickets.. And you will see quite a few anglers even in the heart of London,most of whom are friendly and helpful.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I reckon that Whatmore chappie is a real wind-up merchant.........and Peter....hook,line and sinker eh!
If its only for a day or so then the Lea at Welwyn is a good choice...

Keith M

Reaction score
Theres a short free stretch of the Lea that you can fish at the downstream end of Wheathamstead Park where it gets a bit deeper (3 to 4ft) and where a few years ago my friends and I used to catch some decent chub at this time of year with the odd Barbel in the evenings.
I haven't fished it for years since I joined 'VAC' which owns the fishing rights on a couple of the better sections of the river, including the next stretch downstream.

Last edited:

POLO

Reaction score
Heartfordshire Rivers

Lads! I really appreciate all the info that has been passed onto me. Peter I would like to take you up on your guest ticket but I wouldn't like it to cost you. I don't paying at all. I have to be in Hertfordshire on the 17th anyway so the opening day on a river that I may never fish again has massive appeal to it. Peter I have sent you a message and if you like I will forward another with an email address to contact me on to arrange all the minor details. Once again thanks lads and I look forward to visiting. Paul

Cakey

Reaction score
by the way Polo Broxbourne is £2 day ticket not bad for a possible 9lb chub
never mind your loss :wh