Barbel beginner.

Adam Tallack

Reaction score
Hi people, just after a bit of advice on Barbel fishing.

I came here last year when I was getting back into my fishing after a lengthy break away and got a lot of helpful advice when it came to Pike fishing.

I'm based in Cheshire so I'd appreciate ideas on where to try, I'm not currently a member of any clubs so day ticket rivers would be preferred. Does the close season apply to all rivers?

What tackle set up should I be looking at? I have a couple of Pike rods but I'm thinking they are probably too heavy. I also have 9ft tip but am not to sure of the test without digging it out. Reel wise I have a Shimano Baitrunner (not sure on model) and a Mitchell 440a.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would have thought a local would have assisted by now?
Anyway can't help on day ticket fisheries in Cheshire, but I can confirm that Close Season applies to all rivers.

Kit wise,again depending on the river(s) you fish, you should be ok with a 1.50/1.75 rod and a 4000/5000 size reel.

Keep asking though

Reaction score
hi adam.i live in moulton cheshire and could help with getting you started.ie tackle and clubs to try.01606556461.
albert:)

strut5a

Reaction score
Hi Adam, I believe their is a stretch of the Dee at Farndon which is free fishing and does hold barbel. You should be able to get details on the EA website.