Pole elastic

M

Matthew White

Hello all,

I have just purchased anew pole (maver grim reaper)which came with 2 top 3 kits.
I fish for silver fish on my local ponds and also for carp at the commercial waters ie woodlands thirsk.
i would like to know what types of elastic I should fit to each top kit to cover both disciplines.
I have been reading a lot about the hydro elastic but it is a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Any help would be great
Matt

James Mather

Reaction score
right,
elasticate one top section with number 5 for general use with silver fish etc. this will also allow you to handle carp.

elasticate the other with number 12 and use it for the carp.

remember to use lubricant or your pole elastic will rot. Preston innovations do the best gear.

Alf James

Reaction score
Mathew,

I would suggest that for the No.12 carp elastic that you buy a large PTFE bush that fits directly onto the number two section and only elasticate through the number 2 & 3 sections. Putting large diameter elastics through a number one section can hinder the flow of the elastic and creates a potential weak spot where the pole could break at the join between the number 1 & 2 sections when put under pressure from a large carp.

Alf

W

Wolfman Woody

A trick I learned years ago and I still do it - double up the last 10-12" when fitting it to the bung. When the main elastic bottoms out you have a little reserve.

david hudson

Reaction score
cheeky monkey,
how do you do the doubling up thing you talk about. i have read it somewhere but not quite sure what it means (ie how to do it?)

R

Rodney Wrestt

Sorry to butt in and Monkey might do it differently but.....

After stretching the length of elastic to just about bottoming out point, I thread the elastic through the pole tip, and then put it through the bung, I pass 8" - 10" through the bung and roll both pieces of elastic in opposite directions using the thumb and forefinger of each hand.

This causes the elastic to twist around itself, I do this until the twists are quite tight and then tie off the end using a figure of eight loop. I then fit the bung in the base of the 3rd section and tension off the stonfo connector, it should be tight enough to gently snap back when stretched with a snap.

The reason for sretching the elastic out at the start is so that when you hook a large fish the elastic isn't left dangling out the end of the pole after the fight, as can happen if it's not pre stretched before setting up.

H.T.H.