a few pointers please

paul15

Reaction score
i have'nt fished for 20 years and am looking to start again. first impressions are alot has changed ?
i've been told that my keep/landing net are no longer acceptable. also ive noticed that there seems to be more baits etc to chose from. a few tips would be much apprciated. i'm looking to fish a canal for starters.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Get youreself a new keepnet of the fish friendly type. Club and E.A. licence.

If you are after roach & perch to start with, try smaller baits like pinkies to begin with, and feed squats sparingly in the colder weather.
As this is a new start for you. Try to get a goal in your'e mind and work towards it.
Plan your'e trips, try pre-baiting the night before. Make sure you make the best of the tackle you have, and then decide if you need to re-new anything. Ty and be methodical in what you do. Scrutinise each session, and think if there is anything you can work on improveing. Be a regular visitor to this site and ask plenty of questions. There are loads of top blokes who will help you out.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Paul it would help if you could be more specific as to the advice you are looking for. As Baz said there are stacks of people on the site to offer advice.

J

Jeff (Cheeky Monkey) Woodhouse

Here's a few pointers - ↑↓→←

Seriously, things have changed quite a lot in 20 years. Carbon is the latest popular material for rods and it is really cheap now. Sure it was around in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, but even the far east rods in carbon are now rods that top matchmen would have killed for 20 years ago.

Reels too have changed and continue to do so. Now its large line rollers, anti-wobble, balanced handles, muilt-bearing systems - and free-runners or baitrunners, whatever they call them.

Read, read, read, is my tip. Imagine if you'd been asleep for twenty years and saw the latest cars, the new mobile phones, PCs (just coming in 20 years ago and probably better then). Here's a frightener - late at night go around the house and turn off every main light. Bet you can still walk around your house after a few minutes with all the LEDs that on your video, DVD, phones, washer, printers ......

Where've you been, banged up in a shovel?

F

Fred Bonney

Paul,I would suggest,as Jeff said, before he went off on a tangent,that you read as much as possible,Improve Your Coarse Fishing a monthly mag,will help.
Talk to people on the banks or on line,like this lot.
You will certainly need a landing net,but,a keepnet,unless you start to fish matches, is an unnecessary expense.
Don't be tempted to go for starter kits,unless they are made up buy good tackle dealers, the kits,you used to be able to buy from Woolworths and probably Argos,will not assist your fishing.
A reasonable rod and reel will probably cost you up to ?80,look at Badger,Okuma ranges.
Build up your experience,before you build up your tackle!
As for canal fishing ,you may already know this,but,there is a channel down the centre of navigable canals,if you water is navigable, fish just off the shelf where the water deepens and in the margins,up against the reed bed.
Baits should be bread or worm and the various forms of maggot,some of which are suggested by Baz(pinkies & squatts)
Wait until your comfortable with the standard baits and then start to experiment with others.
There you go, for what it's worth my twopennies worth.
Now,let us here from you,with more questions or your experiences.

paul15

Reaction score
thanks fred and all. im off now to tackle up! cheers

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Forget location, location, location.
THINK
Comunication,comunication,comunication.
As said elsewhere, it's a two way thing.

Jonny Field

Reaction score
i fish a local drain in my village and i know there are big bream and carp in there but i dont seem to be able to get past the roach also when mixing groundbait the night before is it best to add particles such as hemp then or wait until im ready to fish any help would be appreciated thanks

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Johnny,
In the pecking order of things, you will usually start to catch the roach first, if bites start to dry up, suspect that the bream have moved in, and they will push the roach out. Then the carp will push the bream out.

As for the ground bait, I would wait until the time of fishing before mixing the hemp in, as it could lose some of its activeness if you put it in damp groundbait the night before.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Caster, redworm red maggot. Each seperately, or as a cocktail ie -: caster and worm, corn and worm, corn and maggot. This should be a good starting point. also punched bread and caster.
Have you tried plumbing the depth for any variation ? How wide is the drain? any information you can give us will help us to give a better answer.

Jonny Field

Reaction score
the drain is about 20 foot wide and about 8 to 10 foot deep with reeds running all down the margins ther is also some bridges which i have been told are worth fishing to

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jonny,
Get on there mate, it sounds brilliant. Deffinately try down the reeds, but sit with youre rod in youre hand, other wise they will snag you.