what tackle for nine year old

tony brown 3

Reaction score
hello all.

my nine year old grandson would like to take up fishing.could i have some feedback on best way to kit him out.is it best to buy item by item or get one of the kits on offer.any adresses where i can get sorted out and with what please. many thanks tony.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tony,
what area are you from mate?
I might be inclined to buy secondhand. That way, you get more of a choice and probably better quality.
Try asking on here for course equipment for a nine year old, or in the Angling Times ads.

Yorkie

Reaction score
Tony, the majority of the kits offered are complete c**p. Cheap reels, tow rope for line, cheap float selection that will break on the first outing etc, etc.
In all honesty it is false economy.

Best advice to get a 9 year old started is to get him a whip (3 - 5m) There's no reel line to birds nest, it's straight forward and if he's catching will keep him intersted.
Bored kids very soon go off fishing if they are not catching.

Get him used to playing and catching fish then wean him onto rod and line.
Start him with a 10 or 11 foot rod and a reel with suitable line for the species targetted.

You would be better off buying individual quality items rather than sets or kits.

Hope it helps.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I completely agree with Yorkie, thats how my lads started. But of huge importance is selecting a water that is thick with silver fish so that bites are constant. They soon get bored if nothing is happening, at that age its quantity not quality of fish being caught.

M

matthew nightingale 2

Tony,

I asked the same question a year or so ago and bought my eight year old a 5 metre whip after advice. We go to a small farm pond near Preston and have had some cracking days and his enthusiasm is growing.

What I have got him for Christmas is a Shakespear Beta Box with a cheap set of pole supports (?) that clip on the side. Up to now he hasn't been able to hold the whip for long and I've had him using a bank stick to rest on. Hopefully this will help.

One danger with kids of that age is keeping their interest. What I've done is take a camping cooker and had him make the tea! Playing with fire (supervised) is just the thing and its now 'his job' whenever we go out.

Hope this helps.

M

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another thing Tony,
When the time comes for him to have a rod, don't be tempted into getting him too short a rod, because there is then the tempataion to stand right on the edge of the water/bank to try and cast further.

Yorkie

Reaction score
What a brilliant idae Matthew.

Kill 2 birds with one stone - fresh brew and keep the youngster occupied too. I think I'll have to try that myself.