Fixed spool maintenance

Yan

Reaction score
Can anyone give me advice on maintenance of my fixed spool reels (DAM Vsi 440 and Okuma Tritanium). There are various holes in the main body beneath the spools, are these for oil? What kind of lubricant would you suggest- 3in1, WD40, gear oil or grease? Is it safe to take off the side covers without the contents spilling out? No intructions were supplied with either reel, any help much appreciated.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

On modern fixed spool reels all you need to do is give it a spray with a dash of WD40 which also displaces water, and give it a wipe down.

I do this about once a year.

N

NottmDon

Be carfeul Yan and refer to the manufacturers instructions, some of the holes are for oil but some may be for grease. Daiwa used to sell a fixed spool lubricant but as Ron points out a spray and a wipe with WD40 is as much maintenance the average modern reel needs.If you want them servicing properly then ask the mfgs for their reccomended service centre. I oil and grease my reels but not frequently as the modern reels are so well made (Shimanos anyway). Now watch someone shoot me down in flames and tell you how crap my reels are lol! If you cant get the reel lube let me know and I'll dig you one out as I have several.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Never Never Never try to dismantle a modern fixed spool reel. I ruined a Shimano once in my ignorance. Special tools are often required for assembly.

I have a GTM Stradic bought in 1996 - 9 years old. All I've ever done with that reel is given it the odd spray with WD 40.

It seems good for another 9 years.

Yan

Reaction score
Many thanks for the hints. It's very kind of you to offer the reel lube NottmDon but I'll put the screwdriver away and stick to WD40 if that works OK. I thought it might be a bit tricky opening up the case as there are an awful lot of parts listed in the diagram on the side of the reel box. Thanks again.

J

jason fisher

i've had my 5010's for at least 10 years and the only maintainance they get is occasionally chisseling off the dried ground bait when the shape becomes indistinct. they're still fine.

N

NottmDon

Wise choice Yan mate.The offers open if you ever need it but I doubt you will. Even my new Shimanos reccomend an occasional wipe over with WD40 as Ron says. In these so called "throwaway society" days its actually pleasant to find something as reliable as the modern fixed spool reel. I also have an Adcock Stanton centre pin which I dont use as often as I'd like, I know the concept of such a reel is relatively simple, however I can never help but marvel at just how reliable it as been over the years and how "right" it feels. If only poles were made to such standards!!

David Preston

Reaction score
Our reel repair guy (I work in a large tackle shop) recently had a customer bring in a reel that wasn't turning freely and it turned out that he'd filled it with grease and that was actually stopping the reel revolving!

Modern reels with one-way roller bearings really don't like too much lubrication, so the advice given above is very sound.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have a friend of mine who refuses to skip his old pair of Mitchell 410s. When you crank them they feel like they are full of sandpaper. The rollers don't roll and the clutches are downright dreadful.

I once lent him one of my Shimanos to use.

His comment was it was so wickedly good it should be banned. Not fair on the fish!

Seriously, modern fixed spool reels, especially Shimano are marvels of engineering and with only basic maintenance they will out last the old Mitchells many time over.