Starting to fish again

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
Just recently I have the urge to take up fishing again having not fished for 12 years or more. My new partner and her family love fishing and it has got me interested again in a big way. As soon as I have some gear together I'm getting my line wet. Any advice for winter fishing?.

I normally river fish but am going to try some ponds. My old peronal best is a 2lb perch, I'm hoping to catch bigger fish this time round.

E

EC

Gerrinthere, well in mate, a good move!

Tackle is cheaper, and better quality than ever as well. If you are in the market for some new gear have a look at the user reviews on this site!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Go for quality as much as you can Bob. But that doesn't mean you have to by new.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Whereabouts are you Bob?

Do you mean natural ponds and lakes or carp style fisheries?

There are plenty of fishing brains here waiting to be plundered, give us a little more info and we'll help your renewed interest become an addiction.

D

Dave Burr

Bob
There's never been a better time to get into fishing. Like Eddie says, the gears cheaper and very good, there are loads of commercial fisheries to get experience whislt catching relatively easy fish and the rivers have never been quieter, so there's plenty of room for everyone.

If you intend fishing the rivers during winter aim for chub as they'll usually oblige during even the colderest weather.

N

nicholas bray

well done mate if your any thing like me it'll be the best thing you've ever done

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
I'm in West Sussex, great places to fish river and ponds. I will be trying to best my 2lb perch and also going after some bigger fish such as barbel and carp. Thanks for your replies. Really looking forward to getting back out fishing.

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
First outing tomorrow morning at a local pond a good way to start the year I thought. Any advice?. I will let you know how it goes.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Go easy on the freebies and feed two or three swims, then rotate between each one.

Tony Burgess

Reaction score
Welcome back Bob.I had abreak of 14 years and all the advice,without exception,that has been offered to me on here has been absolutely superb. All the best mate.

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
Went out to Sumners pond at Barnsgreen in West Sussex. I blanked legering corn a few bites every now and again. Missed them all. My girlfriend float fished corn and cought a few nice roach and then switched to canned ham and landed a nice 4lb common carp. Going back tomorrow to see if I can do better. It was cold but well worth it.

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
Blanked again, going back next weekend to try out the bigger pond. I dont give in easy and te last two days have been great for refreshing my passion for fishing.

N

nicholas bray

Bob

Just my opinion but if there are any small rivers around your area you might find them more succesful at this time of year, my local still water is a waste of time between the end of nov and feb, my local river is excellent all year round and doesn't seem to be affected by the cold, I mainly use maggots unless after the chub

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
Blanked for a third time today!!!. Had a few bites,missed them all because they were to fewand very far between and it was bloody cold. I will keep trying but not for a few weeks. Its certainly is tough out for me at themo.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Stick with it Bob, it will all come good soon and be well worth the effort.
If it was easy it would get boring.

Good luck.

J

jason fisher

it's never easy this time of year.
things will get easier come spring.

nicky

Reaction score
I'll say it again get off the stillwaters and onto the streams and small rivers with the maggot and possibly the stick float, i had a cracking day to day on my river and also over the christmas but the one time i tried my local stillwater recently all i managed to catch was 2 roach all day rubbish!!!! alot of ponds just dont fish well this time of year, I'm a firm believer that if you want some action you fish for whats in season

mikegee

Reaction score
I had a 20 year layoff!!! bloody ell. What is an 'air rig?. So much to catch up on in the way of new materials and ideas. Still the fundimentals remain the same. There is no better sport. You do it when YOU want, alone or in a team, compete with others or P.Best, the venue is never the same, turn off the mobby and you are on you'r own, nature unfolds before you, and so on. Wish I'd done it 19 years ago.

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
Gonna look into joining Henfield angling club looks like they have some great river waters and a few still waters already and a few that are in the making. Also there is a fre stretch of river in Arundel I want to check out. Cheers for all your pointers guys.

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
Went out today to try again and it was great, used a small maggot feeder and caught some lovely roach to 1lb and a lovely perch was caught by my partner of 1.5 pounds. The main thing is a did not blank and I learnt alot. I am missing less bites than a few weeks ago. I have got the bug big time.