Big lake tactics

B

Benjimima

is there any way to tackle a lake of about 3-4 acres with a float? u dont generally c carp surfacing on this lake and u dont c them close in. any ideas?

E

EC

How long is a piece of string mate?

If the lakeside banks are quiet, if it was local I'd pre-bait the margins and start there!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Benjimima

I'm currently working on a ten part Commercials/small lakes series that is going to try and cover as many aspects of this type of fishing as possible. It should start next week though it will be some time before the detailed tactics come out. (I've still got another 15,000 words to write on it!).

But part of the remit is that any specifics will, if possible, be covered.

C

christian tyroll

i wouldnt worry about fishing really far out, you dont always need to , i fish a 3 acre lake regually and i bascically only fish the margins. i have very good days on the float there, and you be suprised at how many fish you can catch in the margins!

colsmiff

Reaction score
It really all depends upon what sort of 3 acre lake it is- commercial or natural stocking levels; shallow or deep. If its a natural lake then targetting the margins, maybe up to a few rodlengths out with a straight waggler is your best bet. If its a commercial then the use of any of the heavier, so called baggin' wagglers or missiles will get you to the centre of the lake if you so desire, however I really would stick to fishing the margins. Then there is always the feeder...

ANDREW WILD

Reaction score
Hello! I regularly fish a lake of about 4 acres. I use 3 rods, 2 fished on the bottom at about 40 yards from the bank and 1 fished in the margins with a Drennan loaded waggler. Although I have had a number of good fish off the bottom the majority of my fish including a 30+ was caught close in on the waggler literally under the rod tip! Fish close in to stand a chance of netting the wily big carp as they patrol the margins!

Tight lines!!!!!