hook size

glider

Reaction score
Over the last couple of sessions i`ve hooked fish only to lose them after a couple of minutes playing them ,i`m using size 18`s to 3.6 lb hook lengths to 5lb main line; whilst i have landed fish i`m wondering if the hooks are too small and pulling out on strong fighting fish Any thoughts guy`s?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Yes it is possible glider, the only way to find out is to step up a size and see what happens. What kind of fish and size of, are you loseing?

glider

Reaction score
Hi Baz,the fish are around 4lb and have been tench and mirrors and as things are a bit slow at the moment i want to land what i hook

C

chris 2

For fish that size try drennan super spades.With your main line and your hook length you should be ok.

B

I'd try a size 10 or twelve mate.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
As above, either try a slightly larger hook pattern or maybe just a stronger one. Have the hooks opened out? or just slipped out?

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I find small hooks to be an advantage at times as they spread the load over a wider area as they tend to penetrate deeply i would try using the drennan barbel hooks in a 14 as this will have a thicker guage wire.
Are you using a float or ledgering?
If ledgering are you using a running lead or semi fixed?
A semi fixed lead might help to hook them a bit deeper on the take.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Maybe play them a little more gently
Go up a couple of sizes maybe fish the lift method with the hooklength about 6 inches use a large bait (lobworm) and hit as soon as the float begins to lift
Works for me anyway

glider

Reaction score
i`m using both , there doesn`t seem to be any logic as to when or why they come off.

Ryan Bamborough

Reaction score
i am a begginer as well only started at april.i use mainly size 18' 16s but have yet t catch anything over 2pounds but im into pole fishing so i dont expect to get a beast straight away.

B

Ryan.
You could try a size twenty to begin with while you are on the pole. Then go up to a size 18 if you start to loose them.

D

Danny Lancaster

What baits are you using glider?

It may not be the actual size of the hook that is the problem, but the pattern.

I catch a lot of Tench and carp using 18's hooks, but depending on the bait, the patterns vary quite a lot.

For instance, when pellet and corn fishing, I use a wide gape hook so that one the strike the hook is not being struck back up inside the pellet/corn, but outwards towards the lip of the fish.

Whereas when using maggots and castors I like to go for a narrower gape hook pattern so the bait masks the hook more, or in the castors case, the hook can be completely buried inside it.

I would advise you go into your local tackle-shop and have a word with the staff about your problem, and they would gladly recommend a selection of different hooks to try, to match your tactics/bait.

Ryan Bamborough

Reaction score
i first tried 20's for the first few weeks i went fishing but the fish i caught were all little fish less than 1/4lbs easily. when i moved onto the 18's and 16's i found it harder to land the fish i caught but i got the bigger fish. i am going away in a few weeks to s fishing lodge place but this will be the first time i fished by myself