main line / hook lengths

glider

Reaction score
At present i use 5lb maxima main line with 3.6lb hook length , is there a suitable line i could run straight through

glider

Reaction score
it`s just me but i`d rather not have to buy hook lengths pre made or tie my own as when i try to take them off after a session i end up cutting the hook lengths (due to the loop to loop being so small) and they keep getting shorter i know it may seem lazy , why, do you think i should stick with different main lne and hook lengths? i was under the impression maxima in particular was a thick, stiff line , would recomend an other make and why?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Glider.
I used Maxima for years and wild horses couldn't drag me away from it. And it is still a good line. One reason for useing a hooklength is so that on your next session you know that you are starting with undamaged line.

This year I tried Kryston in the 6lb breaking strain straight through to the hook. This suits my style of fishing as did the Maxima, but I will be staying with Kryston.

colsmiff

Reaction score
If you are using 5lb maxima, then you can use that straight through to the hook. It all depends what you are fishing for: straight through is fine for (larger) carp and tench, but with roach etc you really want to be using a lighter line with a hooklength.

P

Paul Clarke

interesting question . I have my own personal views on this mainline/hooklength choice . I try and use a mainline straight through to the hook . My theory being that if i'm using 5lb mainline and a 3lb hooklink , the 3lb hooklink is the weakest link in the set-up . Now , you have a knot at the hook and a knot joining the hooklink to the mainline....and i think i'm right in believing that a knot is a weak point , so this gives two possible weakspots . So , if i was to run 3lb mainline , straight through to the hook , i only have one knot and therefore only one weak spot .

Now , i'm not sure of the true scientifics behind it but from my own experiences , i have 10 times more confidence in a straight through mainline than a mainline/hooklink set-up. This is displayed in my attitudes when i'm playing fish which i tend to play a lot 'harder' with straight through mainline. Maybe its a confidence thing but its what i've found best.

Last season i hooked and landed a 14lb mirror on 2.6lb mainline , straight through and not once did i feel i was not in control.

TBH though , if i was fishing specifically for carp or tench on the float , i would tend to use 5-6lb mainline as on my club lake , this is normally suffecient.