method mix

glider

Reaction score
can you make your own method mix as i use bread crumb and wondered if there is something i can add to make it sticky enough to use with a method feeder?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Vitalin. Use as it comes for the larger carp. Grind it down in food processor for baggin wagler or smaller sized carp.

Vitalin will hold its own wait in particles. so adding other ingredients is not a problem

Alternativly you can use soaked trout pellets. Add boiuling water to a bucket of pellet. Leave overnight if its to stiff or wet add some brown crumb.

You could also add ground pellet to the brown crub. You would have to experiment with the quantities though to get the right consistency.

E

EC

Along with what Bryan has said try some fishmeal, and/or PV1 binder.

Also well worth a look, buy some liquid molasses from an animal food supplier, about 4rips for a gallon, dead sweet and sticky.

glider

Reaction score
Thanks guys ,i`ve got molasses already to which i`m going to mix pigeon conditioning corn , bread crumb and vitalin,let you know how it goes

glider

Reaction score
mixed all the above together and after 4 hours fishing 6 tench the swim was fizzing, result!!

glider

Reaction score
all around 3or4lb lost 3 others, one seemed pretty big but then don`t all the ones that get away seem like that?

E

EC

Factamondo, every lost fish is huuuuaawge.

Am knocking the same mix together meself for 2 sessions on weds and Friday mate.

Did you put any of the mix in by hand or just with the feeder?

In the past I've prepared a dry-ish mix for intro by hand, then added the PV1 and molasses to really firm it up for use with the feeder!

glider

Reaction score
both, i started on the feeder on one rod but after the first fish (on float 15 foot from the bank)which put up such a great fight and would have taken out the other rod i just fish with the float rod and started to ball it in by hand

J

Jack Pike BA

I mixed some Vitalin tonight with brown crumb and other goodies its gone like putty will this be ok for the method ?. I bought some molasses its just like thin treacle I bet a can of treacle would do the same job.

E

EC

Jack, I find that when you mix Vitalin it initially seems dead dry, then before you know it, a bit more water turns it into what loooks like a stodgy mess. I think its because the constituents absorb water at different rates mate, and if am not mistaken many anglers mix/wet it before hand.

Its whetever you feel confident with! If its like putty that sounds ok for the centre of the method feeder, as you dont necessarily want this part to break up.

I mix it up until its dry and crumbly, then separate some off for the centre of my feeder and make this more sticky and thicker, the bit for the outside being a bit more crumbly which will break away leaving my hookbait exposed!

Your right about the treacle but molasses is a lot cheaper,if you get it from an animal suppliers about ?4 a gallon.