New rod and reel required

Neil Holdsworth

Reaction score
After not really fishing for 10 years i'm now gonna start up again! Allot of my kit is in a useable condition but as i was quite allot smaller then i think i need a new rod and a reel.

I'm looking for something farely cheap but good! I've been looking on various websites but am unsure of what i need. I have read the Dave cooper article for beginners and am looking for some advise on what to get.

He suggests a 13 foot rod but there are loads to choose from. I'm going to be doing general coarse fishing. A

I'm also after a reel what does all the gear ratios mean? Would this real be any good?

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/Product...yID/63/v/ff14846d-8c1b-414e-9c14-b6450fe86e09

Thanks in advance for your help.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
what rod and reel to suggest.....absolutely loads out there to choose from and i agree mate its a bit confusing for someone wanting to start up!!!
i presume when you say a 13ft rod for general fishing,you mean float/waggler fishing???
have a good look on the internet and try and have a good thumb through the fishing magazines as well for the bargains,you will be surprised what you can turn up.
heres some rods that may be what your`e looking for....
i`ve seen some good priced shimano hyperloops reccently,also some shops/web sites are selling kevin nash 13ft stillwater rods for a bargain price of ?40...these are good for roach as well as larger commercial type carp.there are still some good leeda assassin 2 rods about which are excellent value at around ?30,if its commercial type fisheries you are going to fish then middy do some good rods and so do shakespeare.its all down to personal choice mate,every one has their own fav brands etc...
as for reels,go for something that gives you a few spare spools so you can load them up with line for commercial type carpo,roach fishing etc.....that way you have most options covered.shimano reels are probably the best on the market but not everone can afford shimano....the shakespeare powerplay is a damn good reel which has had good reveiws,okuma do some cracking reels as well,mitchell and browning are good also.browning usually supply a few spare spools with their reels as well.
it may even be best to go to a local fishery and ask some of the anglers there what rods and reels they use and why??? or there may be some articles on this site giving you some sort of idea on what to look for???
gear ratios....in simple terms if the reel has a ratio of say 5:1 it means that for every one turn of the handle,the drum revolves five times when winding the line on.so the higher the amount of times the spool turns,the quicker the retrieve when winding in.
i hope this has been of some help to you???
all the best.

C

Cider Bob 2

Im in a similar posistion too you in that ive just returned myself.
I have bought Shimano catana 4000's and am highly impressed.Had no problem with a 13lb Pike which picked up my luncheon meat the other day.
Rodwise, ive got a TF"Brawler".Plenty of muscle and light enough too appreciate crucains etc,but man enough for carp. Ive had fish up too 9lb on it so far and it was a joy.
goodluck

captain carrott

Reaction score
john wilson avon quiver, for the rod end of problem go out catch fish enjoy.

Mr Bones

Reaction score
I agree with the John Wilson avon quiver. It will cover most of your fishing needs, match or feeder.

As for the reel have a look at the Okuma range, great quality good price.

Hope that helps.