Reel Seat

Bakerboy

Reaction score
I have a rather old but perfectly good rod where the reel is attached by two alluminium rings that slide over each foot of the reel. The problem is that after a while the reel becomes loose. Is there something else that I can buy to attach on the rod handle to hold the reel more securely ???

T

Terry D

Pieces of bicycle inner tube.
Failing that, if the rod is good then get a rod builder to fit a Fuji locking reel seat to it. Chris Ward did my Daiwa Connoisseur Waggler and it looked just like it had come out of the factory. Check him out at rodcraftsman.com.

J

john conway

Insulation tape.
I always carry a roll. Last thing I fixed was my chair, and that was 6 months ago. I've been meaning to bring it into work and get one of the lads to weld it up, but it's still holding up.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Good one John!

Quite right - insulation tape is one of the best ways of attaching a reel to a rod handle. In fact I used to have a little spinning rod that I made myself to an American spec. It had a simple 18" cork handle with no reel fitting.

You would be surprised how secure insulation tape is, and you save a few grams on the weight of your outfit.

R

I always carry a roll of insulation tape in the car. You would be surprised how handy it can be, like fixing one of my wing mirrors that a cow trashed.

J

john conway

I have a mate who was into carp fishing in a big way, around about the time Monk used to do a bit. He decided he was going to build his own carp rod and before he finalised the position of the rod rings he set them out using insulation tape. That rod never did see any whippings on the rings and it landed quite a few big carp. Another use is for attaching isotopes on to floats and rod tips. That?s another thing I always carry a few chemical "nite-lights", my isotopes never run down they always end up in the river or bushes somewhere.

J

john conway

Bakerboy, Although I don't use these rods that offent, even now I fasten my reel to my John Wilson Avon Rod and Shakespeare Match rod with insulation tape, only needs a couple of turns works a treat.

R

If there is one thing I cannot stand about many modern rods is that you have to grab a handful of knurled nut or screw thead in your right hand.

It's horrid horrid horrid!!!!

When will the rod manufacturers learn. Give me a plain handle and some insulation tape before those idiotic up locking reel seats you see on many modern rods.

Bakerboy

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies.

Looks like insulation tape is the answer. Simple things are sometimes the best...