Pulling for a break

Neil Melton

Reaction score
Hi all,

Went to my local fishery yesterday, fishing for tench at the side of a bed of lillies. I was using a pole out to around 8m, no 8 elastic with 4lb main and 3lb hook length. Had a fair bit of success,netting Tench to 5lb however right at the end of my session, I hooked one that took me right into the lillies. No matter what I did I could not get free, so had to pull for a break. What I didn't bank on was the pole float coming back at me once the hook length broke, and going straight through my finger!!! No real harm done, just a quick trip to casualty to get a tetanus shot, however could do without this happening again. Whats the consensus on how to successfully pull for a break on a pole without injury!!!

Beecy

Reaction score
try to keep everything under water, this way it dosent shoot back as fast.

Always make sure you are looking away or at least shielding your eyes.

lessthanphil

Reaction score
I always keep a big padded glove in my bags for this very reason, if you can't get the tip under water and you have to pull. Do remember to shield you eyes and as you pull, turn your whole face away, I've had pole float shafts in my neck and in my cheek and it ain't pretty :)

If it's a busy fishery with walkers / joggers etc as well as anglers, keep an eye out for them behind you as you break off as well.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Wrap the line several (self-trapping) turns around the butt of your landing-net handle, then push on the middle of it until something gives.
1: the pull is directed away from you, towards the end of the handle, so you shouldn't ever get hit;
2: if something does hit you, it'll get you in the back; and
3: you'll be facing in the direction of any bystanders, so you'll know when it's safe to heave!

Beecy

Reaction score
another thing to remember is that if you cant actualy get hold of the line/elastic and have to pull with the pole itself, make sure you are not pointing straight at the snag point or you can loose your top sections.

Neil Melton

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. All good advice, and very much appreciated!! I'll give the landing net handle method a try if it happens again.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Works best with rods, 'cos you can reach the line! Sorry!!

("Stupid boy, Tyler, read ALL the question first" ... is this my second childhood starting? I hope not; I didn't think much of the first.)