Landing large carp

Neil Melton

Reaction score
I took a trip to the Makin's Fishery at Wolvey yesterday...and what a fishery! Had a pretty good day, however out of the 7 obviously larger fish I hooked, I only managed to land 1. I only picked fishing up again last year after a 12 year lay-off, and have been pretty successful at my local fishery landing a mixed bag with fish up to 8lb, but it seems I still have a lot to learn!! I tried both rod and reel using a waggler, and a pole out to 8m. Hooking the fish wasn't the problem, it was actually playing the fish. As I brought the fish in to almost netting distance, the fish made for a reed bed to my right, almost every time, and as I put some side-strain on the rod/pole in the opposite direction it always seemed to either dislodge the hook, or snap off.
So, do any of my learned friends have any tips for playing fish, or is it something to be developed over time with experience.

BTW, virtually all the larger fish were caught using the new Skinz pellets!

matt

Reaction score
One thing worth a try neil is to pull the fish towards the snag.
If your fishing a swim with a snag on one side as soon as you hook the fish put side strain on in the direction you don't want the fish to go.
It will swim the other way.

massive

Reaction score
I agree with matt in my experience most fish will run in the opposite direction to the strike. You did not say if you use a hooklink if so try fishing straight through if you are fishing close to reeds/snags.

Neil Melton

Reaction score
I don't think so, elastic was size 12 and it was its first outing, so if anything it was set quite slack. The rod is a John Wilson Ideal XL match rod with a fairly light action.

Neil Melton

Reaction score
I do usually use a hooklength of slightly less breaking strain than my main line.

So is playing a fish down to the strength of line/tackle mainly? What strain line would others use on a similar lake?

massive

Reaction score
I will also use a hooklength slightly weaker unless i am fishing a very snaggy swim, you might need that extra bit of strength to get you out of trouble.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Rods which are called "match rods" tend to be all tip action and are not all that good for playing big fish. Get yourself a rod with an "Avon" all through action. It will cushion the plunges of big fish much better. Remember one thing. It takes a great deal more force to stop a fish once it is moving than to prevent the fish moving in the first place.

I would use a 6lb minimum line, and I might feel better with 8lbs.

You must anticipate where the fish will run and hammer the fish with heavy side strain away from the snags. In very tight circumstances, pulling the fish towards the snags works - sometimes.

you do not mention the strength of your tackle. Might I suggest that you up it a bit.