Feeder mainline size

Mr Bones

Reaction score
At long last I?m able to start using the gear I?ve spent ages accumulating (couldn?t before for various reasons!). Things are getting better each time I go and I am well and truly hooked (no pun intended).

My last outing, Sunday, was an experimental day. Trying different setups and baits, but I seemed to loose more than I landed. I?m aware that I have a lot to learn about playing and landing carp, but also about setup. This site has been a great help all round.

I?m using a Shimano hyperloop medium feeder, a Shimano nexave 3000R (which I have to say I hate and will replace with an Okuma asap) and a 4LB Daiwa Sensor mainline.

My question is this. I want another mainline size that will serve me well all-round. A couple of the ones I lost on Sunday were over 5LB (so I'm doing something right). I want to be able to enjoy the fight but not loose so many that it pisses me off!! I was thinking of 8LB or maybe 6LB mainline. Would 8 be to big for my setup or make things to easy, would 6 be to fine for bigger fish but give me a challenge?

I think deep down I know the answer but would be interested to know what you all thought.

Many thanks in advance.

Mr Bones

Reaction score
They do go very big (not sure of the full size) and it's not that snaggy. I also intend using different venues, hence the all-round element.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I would go with 8lb Mr Bones, you can then counteract it with a lighter hooklength, which is a must to avoid a complete break up.
If you're gonna buy a new reel try to get some spare spools, you can then spool up with 8,10,12lb and take your pick.

Good luck.
Steve.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are getting broken on the main line, is this correct?

If so, then I would be tempted to step-up in stages, firstly to say 6lb b/s and see how that goes before going to the 8lb. b/s.
As always use a suitable hooklenght b/s for the main line.

Also, when are these breakages ocurring? On the strike or during the fight or at the landing net? It may be down to your technique in playing the fish .

Mr Bones

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. I think part of it is a case of my technique as well as my knot tying! However, those I hope will both improve, using the correct line for the job I'm sure will also help.

Starting with a 6 and working up to an 8 sounds like a good idea but does add to the expense (albeit ?6).

Maybe using an 8 isn't as bad an idea as I initially thought.

Once again thanks.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
You say that you've finally got to use the gear you got together, if you're using mono and it's ben on the spool a while I'd bin it and put new on. mono will deteriate after a while especially if it'd been left in sun light. Keep the reel with line on it some where dark -

Earlier this year I lost a couple of carp, about 6 - 8 lb when surface fishing on 6Lb line. I stripped the spool put some new 6LB line on and next time out these fish were netted.