Pole query

Andyw

Reaction score
I have just bought a 7m Leeda take apart pole...

It comes ready elasticated... although I am unsure as to the rating.

I know nothing about using a pole, before this I was using a 5m whip...

What do I need? What elastics? Floats etc Any other bits and pieces it is worthwhile getting??

Thanks

Andy

Andyw

Reaction score
Well I'll probably have a waggler rod out or my carp rod as well....

But I'll be on the GU Canal... So prob skimmers, roach perch that kinda stuff... I'll be fishing up until dark... Is it possible to fish with it into darkness... I've not seen any pole floats able to take a night light??

Sorry, total novice so excuse me if I sound divvy!!!

Cheers

Paul T

Reaction score
Andy a few lads i work with pole fish, they all say a good box with adjustable legs is vital so you can sit in comfort. A good pole roller will also help you to ship back the pole. Maybe also a spare top three kit as well.....Again like Rodney asks which fish are you after as this is important!

Andyw

Reaction score
this will sound silly but i will take it, along with my carp, waggler and quiver tip rods... so i'll be combining all of them to some degree...

on that stretch, perch n roach on maggots is an absolute winner... you can fail... lobworms sort out the better perch while the skimmers and bream usually fall to corn...

although i have had a 5-6lb tench out on corn to.... and have been told there are 20lb plus carp and cats in there... But the larger stuff is not really what I'm after... I'm still very much learning and wanna get things right from the off...

Joskin

Reaction score
Andy.

You would be better off leaving the other rods behind. You cant fish a pole and a rod at the same time. Especially as you are new to pole fishing.
You will end up in a total mess and fishing neither as successfully as you would if you used just the one.

Paul T

Reaction score
Andy a size 5 or 6 elastic should be ok for skimmers and roach. As for fishing into darkness I think you will struggle, it will be hard to lay your rig out without tangling and find and connect pole sections.....I dont know anybody who does it, But i bet someone has done it!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Not at all Andy, you'd only be a "divvy" if you had a problem or question but didn't ask for help :eek:)

Ok, I would use a size 4 elastic, this will cover the small fish and the odd larger skimmer.

For line I'd use 2lb with a 1.7lb hooklength of about 10".

A size 22 up to an 18 hook depending how comfortable you and the fish are.

for the float you could try using one of These. They are small isotopes, you could try replacing the tip of a float with one or use a piece of silicone to attach it?

Others will probably have some more opinions and tips to help you out.

R

Rodney Wrestt

see what I mean, I was typing that an' all those posts appeared :eek:)

R

Rodney Wrestt

The pole roller is the best tip, it'll make life so much easier even with a short pole if you use a short line.

Paul T

Reaction score
Joskin is right andy concentrate on the pole. It is better to fish one method well than two methods badly!

Andyw

Reaction score
The only thing I would say is that I'll probably go up in the morning and concentrate on the pole during the day... as it gates dark i'll switch on to my waggler n carp rods and stay the night...

but thanks all!!