wheat

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Cover with water.
Bring it to the boil and let it go cool in its own water.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Often wanted to try it but never have...supposed to be a classic roach bait i believe???
I remember it being sold in ready prepaired packets,many many moons ago in woolworths.It was under the "winfield" name as i recall.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Pearl barley is another excellent bait Nick. But don't feed too much as it is very filling.

twonets

Reaction score
thanks to all replies on the wheat subject. will give it a go this summer. been told its also good used in conjuncton with hemp, for carp?. cheers lads.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The best way of preparing creed wheat is to first of all buy the very best you can get hold of. It's dirt cheap.

Fill a saucepan with water and then put in the wheat, about a third of the saucepan. Then let it soak overnight.

Next day bring the wheat to the boil and allow it to simmer slowly until the wheat swells and just starts to split. some anglers used to like it when split right open.

Another way is to put a little wheat - not too much - into a thermos flask, fill it 3/4 full with boiling water and leave it overnight.

But the quality of the wheat will not be as good as the slow stewing method.

Covering it with boiling water and letting it cool will not do!

Creed wheat is a classic roach bait and will tend to select the better fish. Be careful not to use too much of it when feeding as it is extremely filling.

For a single grain use a 16 hook, for two grain when the roach are really having it, use a 14 hook. In the old days, anglers used to prefer using a gilt hook for wheat.

It's a great bait for roach in rivers such as the Trent or The Idle, especially in late summer and early autumn during harvest time.

M

MarkTheSpark

Old Pete Stone rated wheat as an attractor for bream, both on the Thames and the Oxford GPs.

He maintained you could - for bream - dump it in by the bucketful, and that it was very good for 'holding' a shoal of bream in one area.

As Ron says, it's cheap as chips - so why haven't I ever used it?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

For commercial reasons Mark!!

Let's be honest, it doesn't pay for the weeklies and monthly magazines to have articles showing the use of dirt cheap baits that have no spin-off for bait companies.

Magazines rely on advertising from bait companies. These will stop their adverts if for example a big catch of roach is featured caught on stewed wheat, and this is a fact!

No names, no packdrill, but the bait companies don't like the idea of popularisation of such baits. They don't even like the idea of anglers using bread.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I suppose the same applies to sweetcorn and luncheon meat.
Why people buy these pre-flavoured,over priced items from tackle companies is beyond me.How easy is it to flavour your own baits with the many spices,colourings and flavourings which are cheap and readily available from supermarkets!!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Some of the fancy coloured and flavoured luncheon meat and sweetcorn can cost over three times as much as the ordinary stuff from your supermarket or corner shop.

The purchase of such crud is TOTALLY unnecessary!

The cheap Netto stuff is fine for chucking in and the Green Giant makes superb hook baits.

darkuser80

Reaction score
Being a "traditionalist" my baits come from the pantry or the merchants and pet shop and as Ron has quite rightly stated, cost next to nothing.
As Baz has pointed out, wheat can very filling, so be carefull.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I don't doubt Nick that you could add colourings or flavourings during the stewing process.

But I have caught lots of fish without bothering.

W

will spencer

nick.try a little maple/scopex flavour during the soaking/stewing process.a little sugar won't go amiss