Grandslam carbo competition 11m

bruce1980

Reaction score
Hi all!

After asking the good folk on here about catching bigger fish on my 4m whip, I've convinced my other half to buy me a pole for Christmas! Not going mad with presents this year (baby coming in a couple of weeks, hence my renewed love for fishing!)

Been looking at a grandslam carbo competition 11m pole, only 60 quid but is it going to be any good for that price? Says it can handle 18s elastic (whatever that means!)

Tackle2u.com | Match Poles and Carp Fishing Tackle Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield, Shimano, Prologic, jrc, Preston Innovations, Daiwa and Korum | Grandeslam Carbo Competition 11m Pole ONLY £59.99! HALF PRICE BA | Match, Coarse & Carp Poles | Pole Fis

Any advice would, once again, be appreciated! :)

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Hi all!

After asking the good folk on here about catching bigger fish on my 4m whip, I've convinced my other half to buy me a pole for Christmas! Not going mad with presents this year (baby coming in a couple of weeks, hence my renewed love for fishing!)

Been looking at a grandslam carbo competition 11m pole, only 60 quid but is it going to be any good for that price? Says it can handle 18s elastic (whatever that means!)

Tackle2u.com | Match Poles and Carp Fishing Tackle Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield, Shimano, Prologic, jrc, Preston Innovations, Daiwa and Korum | Grandeslam Carbo Competition 11m Pole ONLY £59.99! HALF PRICE BA | Match, Coarse & Carp Poles | Pole Fis

Any advice would, once again, be appreciated! :)

I know the square root of eff all about poles butmy rule of thumb in life is that, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Having said that, none of us are rolling in dosh so if you can only afford £60, your choice may be limited. And I think it's true that, these days, there's not much totally rubbish tackle being made. Merry Crimbo, Bruce!

john woody

Reaction score
i would save the cash m8 Grandslam are made here where i live. not good tackle just like the ron tompson and avanti stuff should ban the stuff it all ends up in the bin.

bruce1980

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice peeps!

Recon I could stretch to about a tonne but not much more than that! Was looking at them Gangster Carp poles but thin the name put me off!

Think i'd get anything worth buying for a hundred quid?

PS Nice avatar Sparky! Was gona ask if they were yours but they cant be! Know i'd definitely not be spending any time fishing if they were! ;)

bruce1980

Reaction score
Maver Blue Vega for 80 quid? The name Maver rings a bell!

Worth the extra 20 quid over a Grandeslam Carbo Comp?

cheef87

Reaction score
mates got the avanti 11m from dragoncarp only 50quid and had some good high double carp on it and also iv got there 10£ barbel rod whicdh is superb

john woody

Reaction score
mates got the avanti 11m from dragoncarp only 50quid and had some good high double carp on it and also iv got there 10£ barbel rod whicdh is superb
then did he put it in the bin i would :eek:mg:

bruce1980

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys!

Guess the jist of it is 'You get what you pay for!' Only thing is, I havent got hundreds (even thousands) of pounds to spend on fishing gear! Thats why I was asking if anyone could suggest a budget pole!

Anyway! She's already ordered the Grandslam Carbo Comp 11m pole so I'll be getting it for Christmas! :)

Even though I dont have much to compare it to, I'll write a little review on it once I've had a bash with it! Maybe it'll be of some help so somebody in the same boat as me!

bruce1980

Reaction score
Sorry took a while to get back to this! Been too busy fishing! And when im not fishing I've been spending the rest of my time playing with my tackle! (Ooo Err!)
Got the bug now! Well and truly hooked! (No pun intended!) :D

As for the Grandslam Carbo Competition 11m pole, it's great! Bit on the heavy side when all 9 sections are on but i've been using the top 7 mainly and it's fine! The back 3 sections are made of a a kind of plastic stuff but the top 6 are carbon (or carbon composite) and are really light so with the 6 carbon and one plastic one on, its comfortable to fish for hours! Another thing i've noticed at full length is the delay in lifting the pole to the end actually striking is quite long so unless you've got a really slow fish, it's pretty easy to miss the bite!

Went out with it last Saturday to Sammys Basin, Daisy Nook and caught my first ever carp (as well as a bag full of roach!) and they all came in without too much trouble! I've elasticated the top 2 with an 8s elastic and converted the spare top 2 (that comes with it) into a pole cup kit!
The carp, by no means a monster, did put up a bit of a fight but was in the net quite quickly without much drama! I recon a few pound but they always seem bigger through the eyes of the person catching it so any unbiased opinions would be appreciated! Bare in mind, i'm a goal keeper so I've got big hands! :rolleyes:

carp.jpg

All in all, for 50 quid, I recon it's a decent pole and when I save up for my pole box seat with pole rest I'll be able to give it a proper go at full length! :)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
well done mate - carp 2-3lb?

just one thing the carp fight a lot harder on summer so the No8 elastic might bottom out(where the elastic pulls to it's limit) if you get 10lb on in summer

But you've spent £50 and you're enjoying yourself - yes there are better poles out there 9for a lot more dosh) but as long as you are happy and one this I can say - if you take to angling and keep at it you'll end up buying more gear (doesn't have to be top of the range)

good luck

bruce1980

Reaction score
Cheers mate!

Was thinking about getting another top 2 and putting a heavier elastic in (will take up to 18s) for the bigger fish! Wasn't expecting any carp to be honest, 90% of the water was frozen when we got there so was hoping for anything really!
Decided on the 8s because I read somewhere that a heavy elastic will 'bump' smaller fish and I don't mind catching roach! Some decent ones in sammys too so didn't want to miss out on them!

trevtaplin

Reaction score
So Bruce, after a few years of using the Grandslam pole how is it now? I am thinking of getting one off the net, mainly for carp on a private fishery in Oldham. Regular weight of 6lbs caught, up to 12lbs if you are lucky