Ledgering

Glen Hopkins 2

Reaction score
ok whenever i go fishing i have one rod set up for float and one for ledger. i have no problems usually on float but i almost always blank on my ledger rod for some reason, what am i doing wrong? i normally fish with mainline straight to hook or mainline with a ready made hair rig and i put a shot one side of the ledger so obviously it is allowed to run, about 2-3ft up the line. Do i need to start looking into using hooklengths or is there any simple rigs people can advise me on?
The bait i use when i hair rig is usually boilie or pellet.
HELP!!!!

Glen Hopkins 2

Reaction score
i use 10lb Kryston line and i use a TFG Powercarp 12ft rod. ive thought about trying to use PVA mesh but haven't got round to that yet.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Cheers, you have to think how much effort you put into that rod. If your putting more effort and thought into the float fishing you'll take more fish on it.

Also the very nature of pellets and boilies gives slower fishing. You could, as you say, try a pva bag. If you do try crumbling up your hookbaits to put in. With regards to hookbaits, if you hair rigged a few bits of sweetcorn you have a good chance of picking up fish like tench bream.

Also instead of buying readymade rigs, its easy and cheap to make your own. That way you can have it exactly how you want. Take a look at this to make your hooklinks; http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/1383/v/3/sp/

I'd get rid of the pierce of shot as depending on how tight it is on the line it is effectivly a 'death' rig.

Also probably most importanly are you using any form of indication?

E

Evan

If you're watching a float you can't give due concentration to a ledger rig at the same time.

The old boy who gave me some help when I was starting out fishing said, and I think he's right, that the chap fishing with one rod is fishing with it; the chap fishing with two rods is fishing with neither.....

Mind you, he'd never seen a hair rig, a self hooking rig or a bite alarm and has probably passed away long since in blissful ignorance of these abominations.

I generally do the same as you, two rods, but I always rig the ledger as a self hooker.....

Seems to work. I may miss the odd fish on the ledger that just mouths the bait - I don't see it and don't therefore strike - but so what; the second rod is mainly a bonus fish thing for me. Or, if nothing on the float but lots / better quality on the ledger, an indication that it would be a good idea to try two ledgers and put away the float gear.

Mind, if fishing water where the fish are big enough to pull a rod in then use a reel with freespool / baitrunner facility.

In passing, update from post a year and a half or more ago, I am still trying circle hooks on the ledger, off and on. They don't work with the bait on the hook, that's a cert. Bloody difficult to hook a bait with one in the first place and the narrowness of the gap between point and shank is easily blocked if the bait should move at all. Hair rigged best and only.

They don't seem to be any better or any worse than a conventional hook so far, but then again I must confess not to have used them very much. More a confidence thing, when catching on conventional hooks I stick with them. When not catching on conventional then I try on a circle hook - so hardly a fair test for them if they are only being fished in hard conditions. I shall have to make an effort to fish two side by side, conventional v. circle and then see.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Where are you casting your second rod?Possibly concentrate on fish location as starter and then worry about rigs etc.

If they aren't there you cant catch'em whatever rig you are using.