Advice, please, on kitting out an UTTER NEWBIE

kradcliffe

Reaction score
Hello!

As I said in my intro thread, I'm practically brand-new to fishing.

I am here because I don't think fly-fishing forums are the right places for me, although I'm not really sure I intend to do a lot of what seems to be defined as "coarse fishing".... I mostly want to bait fish for trout in the hill lochs or fish off the pier into the sea loch.

If I explain what I hope to do, could you advise me on what kit I ought to get and how much I can expect to spend?

I have a cheap little telescopic pole that someone gave my kids for Christmas, and have replaced the reel with something that isn't an utter joke: [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Okuma-Razor-Match-Feeder-Spinning/dp/B0014FVYLY/ref=cm_rdp_product"]Okuma Razor 40 Match / Feeder / Spinning Reel - With Line: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kjYdFd0gL.@@AMEPARAM@@41kjYdFd0gL[/ame]

It has purple 8lb line on it.

I have some number 10 hooks. I have a bubble float. I have some split shot and a small spoon-y shaped lure thing. I have a few swivels. I also have a string of mackerel feathers that someone gave me.

That is all I have.

Now, I am really,really new at this. Still trying to learn what all the terms mean and so forth.

So, here is what I will likely be attempting in the near future:

Fishing with bait or lures for trout in hill lochs.
Fishing with bait or lures in the Crinan Canal.
Fishing with bait or lures in Loch Awe.
Fishing off the pier into Loch Fyne for whatever is out there.

Notice that, aside from the hill lochs, I am not entirely sure what I am fishing FOR. I know that trout taste good and eels scare me. The rest is... a mystery to me.

I can say that I am less interested in catching inedible fish to photograph, as I'd kind of like to eat what I catch when possible.

So, if your eyes are not permanently rolled back in your head, could you offer me some advice on what I may need as basic equipment?

I'm pretty sure I ought to get a rod that wasn't intended to be a child's toy. Could you recommend a satisfactory all-rounder and advise on how much one might cost?

I gather that line can be bought on spools and thus easily changed? What sorts of line, um, strengths should I be looking for? I'm fairly sure I'd want heavier fishing off the pier than in a small hill loch, but I'd rather try to have only two or maybe three spools to change in and out as I'm on a tight budget.

I will need a net for fishing from a boat and possibly off the pier, but they look mighty pricey at the tackle shop.... any pointers, there?

What other absolutely necessary things have I not even thought of, yet?

I thank you in advance for your patience and help. :D

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
the reel comes with a spare spool so you can have 2 spools of different line strength (called breaking strain) to swap between

the "spool" that new line is sold on is a small plastic "drum" that you load from to your reel spool

for trout you can ask about "flies" i nthe local tackle shop

kradcliffe

Reaction score
the reel comes with a spare spool so you can have 2 spools of different line strength (called breaking strain) to swap between

the "spool" that new line is sold on is a small plastic "drum" that you load from to your reel spool

for trout you can ask about "flies" i nthe local tackle shop

My reel did not come with a spare spool. I ought it at the local shop. Guy pulled it out of a drawer and put it on my rod and charged £15. It wasn't even in a box. I have no idea if the price was fair or what, but I sort of understood that he was getting it from a drawer of odds and ends or something.

So, you are saying that I have to wind all line from a spool onto the reel? That is terrifying. Somehow, I had the idea that the spools came out of the reel, much like a pre-loaded sewing machine bobbin. This means that I can't just switch out spools but must switch out entire reels. That will undoubtedly cost more.

I don't want to fly fish for trout. I want to use bait on a hook and a regular non-fly-fishing rod (just better than the one I have.) The guys at the shop were pretty good advising me about the bubble float and hooks and I know what baits to try.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
unless you can buy a sapre spool the only option is to change the line all the time - which is a pain - the spool on the reel will ahve a button in the middle that you push to remove it - go back to the shop and ask for them to show you - to be honest for £15 I think you got fitted up no spare spool no box - could ahve been in any state

kradcliffe

Reaction score
Well, at least I wasn't paying for it! (My father paid for it, as he was visiting me at the time.)

They do have an excellent reputation in our small local community, but I don't know what things ought to cost.

Now I am confused... you can change out the spools, but must put the line on the spools. While reels often come with line on them, already, it would be silly to expect to buy spools for every make of reel with all sorts of line already on them. I think that's what you're saying and that does make sense.

How much should one spend for a decent-but-not-fancy reel?

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
you need to go to your tackel shop and ask them to explain changing spools on your reel

the price is ok for the reel just I wouldn't have paid that for a reel out of some old draw in a shop without knwing how much use it had had

shelly

Reaction score
Have a look on youtube, there are loads of videos on there showing you how to load your line

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
What do you refer to as bait fishing are you going to be wormfishing for trout? Are you going to be fishing for pike because you are likely to encounter them I think if you are using fish baits and plugs ? a big range of fishing really taking into account sea lochs ,trouting and canal but it sounds to me like you need something like a light pike or carp rod or strongish avon rod something around a two pound test curve.You can pick them up for as little as 15 pound.
I would opt for about a five or six pound line for trouting if using float and worms then at least a ten pound line maybe fifteen pound if your looking at lots of pike and if you are you will need wire traces as they have big sharp teeth.
Try and find out whats caught were you are going from a local tackle shop or internet and good luck.