TROTTING ADVICE NEEDED

Steve Johnson 4

Reaction score
Although I've been fishing most of my life (usually stillwaters and sluggish Lincolnshire drains) I've recently started fishing the likes of the Kennet. I've got a decent grasp of rudiments of fishing in general but could do with a few hints about finessing the fine art of trotting, a skill which is rather more demanding than plonking a float next to a raft of pads!

Firstly, I understand the concept of holding back, but in practice it's quite a skill. I've got an old speedia reel which spins well, so any tips about holding back? It's just tricky to stop the float moving at the pace of the flow at the surface without causing it to move along in a jerky stop-start fashion. Either that or I hold back too long stopping the float thus causing it to move towards the near bank. Is it simply a case of feathering the spin (which I try but always seems to grind to a halt) of the reel or is there some devilishly simple solution?

Also, shotting patterns - is it advisable to put a small dust shot towards the hook to keep the bait towards the bottom?

And finally, the line between rod tip and float - I understand it's a case of trying to keep as straight a line between rod tip and float (and obvioulsy once the float starts moving slack line doesn't really become an issue) but should the majority of the line be out of the water or isn't this an issue? It seems when you do keep all the line out of the water between rod tip and float there is a tendency for the float to start lifting out of the water / stopping thus disturbing its natural flow.

Thanks for any advice - had a few fish out on the last few trips but just feel it's more by accident than design so just need some good advice so I feel a bit more in control!

thanks in advance.

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
Hi Steve

One thought - are you trying to get away with too light a float / rig? I have always found a heavier float (I prefer my old Billy Lane Avons) to be more stable and easier to mend the line to keep it straight. I feel that the amount of line on the water isn't such an issue but keeping it reasonably straight is more important toa smooth trot. It's then easier to spot any slight aberrations that could be a bite.

Hope this helps

Steve

teddy bear MBE

Reaction score
One thing I was taught about trotting was to slightly overshot the float so that when you hold it back it doesn't rise out of the water too much. I was also taught to keep the rod tip high so that you have as little line on the water as possible.

As Steve Weaver says, don't try to use too light a float. I have used a pin for trotting and I always found it enjoyable but to be honest I now use an Abu 501 closed face reel which I find easier to control.

As to shotting patterns, obviousley it will depend on which type of float you are using which in turn will be dictated by the type of swim you are fishing. Another thing to consider is whether you want your bait dropping through the water slowly or getting down fast and held near the bottom.

I have no doubt that your thread will get you loads of advice and I would suggest that you listen to it, go out and try it and then do what works best for you./forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

Trisantona

Reaction score
I think the old addage on the Trent was one no. 8 shot for each foot of depth,with lead free i would make these no. 6,string em out shirt button style to start then play about till you start catching,the fish will move up and down in the water depending on how much feed you trickle in,hold back at the end of your trot before retrieving, in rough conditions try a small shot above the float ,also position of top rubber on float can make a difference ,try laying about 5 ft. of line on water directly upstream of float by flicking rod over then "work" that instead of directly to float.Speedia's have an adjustable drag so try that, have fun.!!!!!!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif