A question on rod length and casting a feeder

brummiephil

Reaction score
this may seem like a daft question but, does the length of a rod have any affect on the distance you can cast a feeder
today i was struggling to cast more than 20 yards using a 9ft carp picker rod, would an 11ft rod give me more ‘umf’ when casting

fruitowl

Reaction score
not so much the length but the amount of flex in the rod being a 9ft carp picker i would presume it to be fairly stiff a spinning rod of the same length would cast further being a softer action the rod you are using is meant for close in carp fishing under trees ect

B

binka

You'll definitely get a longer chuck with a longer rod.

Some of the distance feeder rods are now 13' even for stillwater use where the extra length isn't needed to point upwards on a river to keep the line out of the water and the extra length in these has been built in to achieve the further distance.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Longer rods would generally be preferable for fishing at longer distances. However, the action of the rod will also play its part. Not all 9ft rods will be equally capable due to those differences.

For really long distances on stillwaters, 13 and 14' rods are common enough. Total overkill on the average commercial fishery though.

Big river feeder rods can be as long as 15-17'.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It also helps to use the lightest BS line you can get away with and fill the spool right up to the rim.
A 45g feeder is very heavy, for a good long cast I use a maximum 30g banjo and 4lb mainline. My feeder rods are 12' and 12'6" these being the optimum length for long chucks.