Fishing the River Dane

avrojet

Reaction score
Hi

I had a look at the River Dane yesterday (Warrington anglers stretch)
Looked a nice river however water flow was running fast from all the rain we've had recently.
Now I've never fished a river so any advice as to what type of rod, line & reel plus method for fishing it would be useful.
Also am I best waiting a few days for it to settle down assuming we don't have to much rain again or is a river fishable when in flood?
Thanks

Phil Hatton 2

Reaction score
Your main target on that stretch will be Chub to 3lb ish, Dace and perhaps Grayling. (I'm not sure if you will encounter Barbel that far upstream, any WAA members reading this?)
To be honest if you've never fished running water before I'd stick to straight lead with a big smelly bait for the Chub... meat,cheesepaste or boilie. Find a piece of water that has a smooth surface and an even, steady, flow (about walking pace is best) at least 3ft deep, preferrably with some sort of cover.
You'll need a quiver tip or Avon type rod at least 11ft, fixed spool reel with 5lb mono, leads from 1/2 to 2oz and hooks from 6s to 12s.
At the moment it's well up and just fishable, by weekend it should be better if we have no more rain.

PM me if you want more info

Last edited:

avrojet

Reaction score
Hi Phil

Thanks for all the advice, I find this forum great for advice for novices to the sport.
I will keep you updated.

Thanks

Mark

thx1138

Reaction score
Hi Mark.
I've fished that stretch of the Dane for 20 years. I was fishing there on New Year's Day - so I am surprised I didnt bump into you!

It is possible to catch on that stretch no matter what the flow, it's all about reading the river and learning where the fish hold up.

As Phil Hatton explained, the WAA stretch is best suited for chub fishing. If the conditions are right, the grayling fishing is pretty good too. There are very occasional barbel, but it certainly isnt noted for them in that stretch, or anywhere above the weir at Holmes Chapel. Although there are dace, roach and chublets present, fishing the maggot tends to attract plagues of minnows, so most anglers target the chub.

I fish for chub with big baits on big hooks, usually ledgered bread crust or freelined luncheon meat on a size 2 or 4 hook with 6lb line straight through. I hardly ever loosefeed and rely on presenting a bait to where I think the fish will be lying up.
I like to use a centrepin reel as it enables me to control the bait and let it move around the swim more naturally. The reels I use are vintage, but not expensive. I have picked up a few off Ebay for no more than £30. However, you can use a fixed spool reel to similiar effect. A 11-12' avon rod is ideal.

Not a lot of finesse about it, the location and presentation are they key to catching fish I have found. Although some anglers like to sit in one spot, I prefer to keep moving, and I'll usually fish a dozen swims in an afternoon, and expect to catch half a dozen or so chub.

I'd be happy to meet you there and show you how I fish it. I can lend you a spare rod and reel to try out if you like. Send me a p.m. if you are interested.

I'll be on there again this weekend no doubt. :)

Tight lines!

guest61

Reaction score
Hi

I had a look at the River Dane yesterday (Warrington anglers stretch)
Looked a nice river however water flow was running fast from all the rain we've had recently.
Now I've never fished a river so any advice as to what type of rod, line & reel plus method for fishing it would be useful.
Also am I best waiting a few days for it to settle down assuming we don't have to much rain again or is a river fishable when in flood?
Thanks

Hi Avrojet

I would take up one of the offers for some first hand advice. This stretch of the Dane isn't an ideal place to start your river fishing career. Have a look on the WAA forum there have been a few threads there which would help you and the bailiff on here (Ron - I think?) is very knowledgable and approachable. Anyway Chub are your target species and this is a video on Chub fishing.

Chub fishing - Leuciscus cephalus - YouTube

Shenno

Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie question. Who owns the stretch of river fron the Old Vicarage up to the railway viaduct?

We live near it and was hoping to try fishing there.

Thanks

mikench

Reaction score
From the viaduct onwards is owned by Bay Malton ! Have a look at their website!