Hook lengths yes/no

pez

Reaction score
Me being a lazy git i only use a hooklength when fishing snaggy swims etc. Do most people on here use them all the time for better presentation etc and do you think i would get a lot more bites using them. Thanks in advance for any tips. Pez.

Reaction score
I nearly always use a hooklink of lower diameter and breaking strength (except when carpin use a stronger h/link) Not only does it offer better presentation, but if you break off, you only loose a hook ad a bit of line instead of your whole rig. Its also better for the fish

Ryan

The Sogster

Reaction score
I use a hooklength for 99.9% of my fishing. However I only use rod and line, if you are pole fishing then your line should be balanced to the elastic. The benefits of better presentation far outweigh the inconvenience of tying them.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I only fish lighter breaking strain lines straight through to the hook (8lb or less)and only ever with free running feeders or leads.

If I'm fishing with 10lb line or heavier and with semi or fixed leads I use a lighter breaking strain hook-length.

blandford-esq

Reaction score
The use of a hook lenght of a lower breaking strain to the main line in my opinion is essential 100% of the time if you care for the well being of the fish.

Paul H

Reaction score
Fishing the mainline straight through to the hook is fine as long as any other tackle on the line is free running.

If I use a seperate hooklength, which is most of the time, I always use a lower breaking strain by about 2lbs or more.

L

Laurie Harper

I have to disgaree that as long as the tackle is free running, it is safe to fish straight through. If you stretch a piece of mono until it snaps, it can sometimes spring back into a tangle, which may stop it passing through a swivel eye or similar. Best to always use a hooklength. Also, it is very difficult for a fish to break even quite light line by swimming against it if it has become tethered, so it is important not to leave them trailing as short a lengthas possible.

Paul H

Reaction score
Are helicopter rigs unsafe as well then?

By the same principle if the mainline goes and coils up the fish could be left with hooklength, mainline and lead or feeder attached.

I agree that we should use as safe rigs as possible but even with lower breaking strain hooklengths there is a chance the mainline could go first depending on snags and such like. As long as the circumstances are right (for example:not a snaggy swim)I see no problem fishing the mainline through to the hook.