Planning 1st time out

BigAl127

Reaction score
Havingintroduced myself in the newbies section a couple of months ago, and receiving a warm welcome,I'm now ready(ish) to enter the great unknown.

I've now acquired all my basics for float fishing, and with a little apprehension (or should that be trepidation) I am hoping to fish for my veryFIRST TIMEat a local pond sometime this week.

I'm planning on using an hooklength, and if i'm correct, my float should be attached to my mainline, with a locking shot either side.

1) How far above the loop, to attach my hooklength is ideal for the float to be?

2) How long should my hooklength be ( the pond is about 4ft deep, I believe, but will know better after plumming the depth) ?

Thanks in advance for any replies, and any further tips welcomed.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Float fishing is not my forte but you'll set the depth of the float after you plumb the depth of the waterwhere you're fishing.

Stick a swan shot or a plumbing weight on the hook so that it will sink the float then move the float up or down the mainline until it sits right in the water. This will ensure your bait sits dead on the deck.

I personally would want a hooklength of at least 4 or 5 inches to take advantage of any elasticity in the line but others may know better than I.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Hi Big Al,

I use a hooklength 99.9% of the time when fishing and find the best length is between twelve and eighteen inches. I would only ever use a very short hooklength when fishing the feeder. Join it to the mainline using the loop to loop method or alternatively using a micro swivel. The swivel is a good idea if using baits such as double maggot which can put twist into the line when retreiving the tackle. Alternatively hook the maggots one through the 'eyes' and one through the 'tail', this also helps stop twist.

From your post I presume you are fishing the waggler in which case you are correct in putting most of your shot at the base of the float with maybe a dropper shot (8 or 10) nearer the hook.

Choose a float that you can easily cast past the required distance at which you want to fish that way if the wind picks up or conditions change you can still reach the targetted area. You may want to use float adaptors which make changing the float without breaking down the rig easier should a heavier float be required.

Once you have chosen your target area it is best to cast beyond it feathering the line with your finger on the spool to straighten the rig before it lands and then place the rod tip under the water before drawing the float back into position with a few quick turns of the reel handle this will ensure that the line is sunk between rod tip and float meaning that it will be less affected by wind and waves and you will also be able to lift into the strike more easily.

Hope this helps, good luck and tight lines.

The Sogster

Reaction score
You could spend hours n the subject of float fishing, but there has been good quality advice given above, don't be afraid to fish mid water this time of year, sometimes it can be worth setting your float and hook so they are only 2 ft apart (fishing 2 ft deep) and firing in maggots over the top.

But Just enjoy yourself catch a few fish and take in the scenery

Ryan

The Sogster

Reaction score
Good point Ryan, I was assuming that Al would be starting on the deck.

It may well be worth shallowing up if the fish are feeding mid-water and no bites are forthcoming alternatively don't be afraid to fish over depth by a couple of inches with the dropper shot on the bottom if the tow/ wind is affecting presentation and making it difficult to present a static bait.

Choosing the right float for the conditions is 90% of the battle, if it is windy or the lake has plenty of tow try a bodied waggler with the dropper on the bottom.

It really is all about determining how the fish want it on the day.