what's the secret to mixing ground bait that will stick to the method feeder?

brummiephil

Reaction score

dangermouse

Reaction score
Not sure there`s a secret, it`s mostly just down to trial and error. Adding horlicks to pellets makes them stickier so I`m told, so that would probably work with groundbait too.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Are you using a 'method mix groundbait?' Just put it in a bowl and add water in small amounts and mix it up thouroughly until it will form a lump in your fist and stay together. Job done. If you are using a mould the mix needs to be a bit wetter, otherwise just squeeze it on the feeder in your hand.

C

chefster

Most fishmeal groundbaits work ok ,just over wet them slightly and riddle them,to get all the lump and bits out,pack it tight into the mould and give it an extra squeeze around the feeder.For carp and F1,s use 50-50 sticky pellet and fishmeal groundbait and banded 6mm pellet on the hook...

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Get a small tin of sweetcorn, blitz it in the whizzer and use it to mix your groundbait. It's one of the best binders you will ever find.

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

I find I get the best results using a propper method mix, thay are a bit more sticky, I normally use Sonubates method or 50/50 method paste mixes.

You could also pop the feeder once loaded into a PVA bag, that will ensure it all stays intact until it hits he bottom if you are not convinced its staying on or surviving the cast.

Paul

laguna

Reaction score
If you are having probs using method mix straight out of the bag, just use a method feeder that has inverted side walls and deeper undercuts to retain the contents.

C

chefster

You can get an idea of the breakdown rate

Yeah i understand that Paul,but if youre mix is right it should break down straight away on the bottom.The trouble is some anglers mess about to much-adding this and adding that,and each time they do their groundbait its different-whilst its good to experiment,you need to be using a mix you can be confident with,keep it simple ,mix it right and stick to it.There are plenty of standard method mixes and they all do the same job,there are,nt really any secrets-The best method anglers are the ones who cast more regular and accurately drop their feeder in the same spot,building up their swim.......

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I just use Robinson's Fruit juices for making up my method mixes. It adds a little color, flavour and it's sticky enough to act as a light binder, which breaks down quickly in the water.

I think if there is a 'secret' to making any groundbait, it's to do that before you do anything else, like setting up your rods etc. If you make up your mix so it feels right straight away, by the time you're actually set up, your mix will have dried a little and it'll probably need adjusting. By that time, you mix should have become gummier and plumper, ready for use.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I make my method mix up before I leave home to drive to my venue. Usually it's a groundbait mix, but lately I have been using 2mm pellets and the Drennan Method feeder and mould.

I empty a 650g bag of Sonubaits 2mm (or any other kind) into a mixing bowl and cover the pellets with water, leave it for 2 minutes and drain off and put them into my groundbait bucket and off I go. On arriving at the water I put a 25ml scoop of Sonubaits Stiki Pellet Powder into the damp pellets and mix it thoroughly by hand. By the time I have set up my gear the pellets are ready for the feeder.

The Drennan mould has no release button like the Preston or Korum and after a few casts the mixture starts to stick to the mould and come off the feeder. A quick dip in the lake before each loading (it floats if you drop it in) ensures the mould releases the feeder with payload intact.

C

chefster

The Drennan mould has no release button like the Preston or Korum and after a few casts the mixture starts to stick to the mould and come off the feeder. A quick dip in the lake before each loading (it floats if you drop it in) ensures the mould releases the feeder with payload intact.
A little tip,put a plastic s/wich bag around the mould,it releases everytime;)

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
That's a great idea chef. The best ideas always seem so bleedin' obvious after you know about them.....sigh!.....lol

paul80

Reaction score
Another method I have used which works is to mix a 50/50 mix of 1mm and 2mm feed pellets and then add a couple of spoonfulls of Soya Flower to the dry mix, give them a good mixing dry then add enough water to cover all the pellets, then set them aside while I tackle up, that mix in conjunction with the new Korum Dura Feeders seems to work well.

Although to be totally honest I still think we are being conned by the makers of all the different types of method feeder. I doubt that with any of them the feed stays on once the feeder hits the water, although it should still hit the lake bed in the area that the feeder hits so it still works but more as an accurate ground bait.

For the makers it is good that there is virtually no way for the angler to test that this method really works, as most of us do not have access to gin clear waters and diving equipment to test their theories.

But as long as we catch well using them it matters not one bit if they are working as claimed or not.

The trouble is on waters where they work well for me I have also found the good old cage feeder works just as well and in some cases even better.

Paul

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another method I have used which works is to mix a 50/50 mix of 1mm and 2mm feed pellets and then add a couple of spoonfulls of Soya Flower to the dry mix, give them a good mixing dry then add enough water to cover all the pellets, then set them aside while I tackle up, that mix in conjunction with the new Korum Dura Feeders seems to work well.

Although to be totally honest I still think we are being conned by the makers of all the different types of method feeder. I doubt that with any of them the feed stays on once the feeder hits the water, although it should still hit the lake bed in the area that the feeder hits so it still works but more as an accurate ground bait.

For the makers it is good that there is virtually no way for the angler to test that this method really works, as most of us do not have access to gin clear waters and diving equipment to test their theories.

But as long as we catch well using them it matters not one bit if they are working as claimed or not.

The trouble is on waters where they work well for me I have also found the good old cage feeder works just as well and in some cases even better.

Paul

Good point about the sticking. I wonder what's in the Sonubaits Stiki Pellet powder that I use at 3 quid a tub? Probably summat that costs about 10p to produce, like cornflour.

When I have released my loaded feeder from the mould I give it a good squeeze to make sure the pellets are really stuck.

Also, I'm not that keen on the hookbait showing on top of the feeder as I like to make them work for it. So, instead of putting the hookbait in the recess in the mould, I put a layer of the feed in first and then fill the mould up. I seem to get more sailaway bites like that.

I think the majority of the feed must stay on because of the amount of rattles, twitches and bangs on the rod-tip before the take. I could be wrong!

Windy

Reaction score
Coop pizza base mix, + a smidgeon of hot water to activate.
Sticks like the proverbial to a blanket and costs mere pennies.
Will bind anything into a paste.