srawberry sweetcorn

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I've used it and caught on it. You can eek it out by decanting a tin of JGG into a box with it and letting it soak with the flavoured sweet corn, it will take onsome of the scent and a little of the colour and makes a good change bait.

guest61

Reaction score
I'm new to fishing and was wondering if strawberry flavoured sweetcorn will work as bait for trout and grayling

I'd suggest that you check EA byelaws for the river that you're planning to fish unless you wait until June 16th.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I'd suggest that you check EA byelaws for the river that you're planning to fish unless you wait until June 16th.

I didn't take that into account, I had my fish as "accidentals" during the coarse season on the; Test, Irfon, Wye and Itchen. I don't know if the flavouring has a particularly beneficial effect as most game fish love it anyway.

I've had: Grayling, Rainbows, Sea trout, Salmon and the odd Chub on corn, they love it. Not bad results considering that I hadn't fished any of these rivers up until a couple of years ago. I also fished an "Any method trout fishery" in Belgium and they were crawling up the rod for it, over forty rainbows in one day was my best effort, you weren't allowed to return any fish and had to pay for every fish you took, it cost me a flipping fortune.

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Strawberry will definitely work for Rainbows....they ain't that bright.

I wouldn't waste my time with it for wild Brownies though, when maggots or worms will do far better.

It might work of for Grayling but I think plain corn with a little red food colouring to make it a sickly pink colour works very well. It's thought the colour makes the corn resemble fish eggs. I don't know if that's true or not but it seems to work OK.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ordinary yellow sweetcorn certainly works when trotting for grayling on the Welsh Dee. Maggots are banned on the upper Dee so it's a useful change bait from worms. Of course, you hook the odd trout too since they are there in numbers.