advice on a stuck quiver tip

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
what is it glass or carbon , you will have to try and warm it up somehow , but be very carefull not to overheat it , when it exspands you should be able to pull it out , try soaking it in hot water not a naked flame. maybe a squirt of wd40 may work as long as you clean it well after. try hot water first. let me know if it works. perhaps to be more precise prob a kettle of hot water or run under a hot tap , but try to just hot up the female end that takes the tip then you will only expand the bit you want to make bigger, try not to get the tip section hot . good luck if in dought take it to tackle shop .

Last edited:

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Get someone to help you, hold the quiver tip and get the other person to hold the rod end, slowly twist the sections in opposite directions whilst gently pulling. This has always worked for me and it works on stuck rod sections too. Just hold on to the sections close to where they join together.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
yes steph i should have suggested that first realy shouldnt i lol, didnt know how much force he had put it in with beings he,s new .

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A couple of strips of inner-tube rubber can help in getting a good grip on both sections and, combined with the two people twisting in opposite directions trick, should get it done.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Tapping the joint on a hard surface can sometimes do the job.

Just be careful how hard you tap it:eek:

mick b

Reaction score
A couple of strips of inner-tube rubber can help in getting a good grip on both sections and, combined with the two people twisting in opposite directions trick, should get it done.

Exactly the method recommended to me by Hardy's when I had a stuck spigot joint.
Worked like a dream!:D

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Tapping the joint on a hard surface can sometimes do the job.

Just be careful how hard you tap it:eek:

That could create hairline fractures in the carbon, which can get bigger over time and evetually lead to a break. You shouldn't tap rods off anything.

I'd try the two-man pull first but it should be noted that one person should remain absolutely still, allowing the other person to do the twisting. Doing it this way allows one person to have absolute control over how much torque is actually applied. Also, 2 people twisting at the same time may flex the blank a little which makes the jam even tighter still. Then you're both just fighting each other.

You can also make a grip on either side of the joint with elastic bands, creating an X-weave type affair, which gives you and the rod something to act upon.

WD40 works alright as does GT85. I would go for the latter of the two since it contains silicone, which is more slippery than a slippery thing. Great for regular lubricating of reels too I might add...must be regular though.

Once you have the two joints apart, I'd rub the male end with a soft pencil, like a 2B. The graphite fills any little imperfections which can trap grime or moisture, both of which can glue a joint together AND it also makes an excellent lubricant.

brummiephil

Reaction score
its been steamed as I type this!!

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

steaming did not work, a ten min blast with the hair dryer and tugging it from both ends with rubber place mats on each hand did the trick