Method feeder help

fozzie41

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have fancied giving a method feeder a go for a few weeks and was looking round the tackle shop earlier and picked a couple up.

Because I'm a newbie and didn't have a clue I picked up elasticated ones.

I got back and was searching how best to set one up and have seen loads of people saying they are dangerous for fish if your mainline snaps.

It's a flat feeder with a hole in the top for the main line then elastic at the bottom for the hook length. (I can upload pics if need be)

The last think I want to do is risk a fish swimming round with a big heavy feeder dragging behind it so I wanted to ask if there was anyway to still use these without the elastic so it's a bit safer?

If not then lesson learnt and ill grab an inline one next time I go and do my research before buying next time

C

chefster

As said above get some of the Guru X-Safe elasticated feeders,they are perfectly safe and allowed on most fisheries,you can get them in 24 g, or 28 g, and you can get the mould to suit,i use these everywhere,i never use in-line methods, i find you lose too many fish , particularly at the net Chef

fruitowl

Reaction score
if you want to use the ones you bought fozzie cut the elastic off and use them as a free running feeder as crabtree has suggested, that way if the fish breaks you off the feeder falls away and the fish will spit the hook and hook link quickly.
as chefster has said get the guru ones they are far better.

fozzie41

Reaction score
Cheers that's what I'll do. How do you secure it on the line so it doesn't go too far near the hook? Could you just put some shot on?

wba6745

Reaction score
hello fozzie you will thread the method onto the line tie on a suitable swivel which will half sit inside the method, the other half you will attach your hook link.
however i recommend you go out and grab a couple of the guru xsafe pellet/method feeders as they are safe like people have said but you will bump off very few fish, the standard non elasticated feeders can be a nightmare for fish coming off. hope this helps

fozzie41

Reaction score
Cheers, I'll pick some up and prefer to use the safer ones I was just looking for a way to use them till I manage to pick one up.

A few sites have said use a korum quick change bead to stop it sliding too far down so got some of them

wba6745

Reaction score
a quick change bead will do the job just aswell give them a go you might find them ok