What essential Tackle should I buy?

Fast Catch

Reaction score
Hey People

I am about to buy some tackle in the next fortnight. I have been away from fishing except once last year pole fishing for around 4 hours.

The reason I am asking this question is because I don't want to buy pointless tackle that just sits there for years, and never sees the rod. The fish that I intend to stalk are Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Carp upto 10 lbs for the moment .

Hooks comes to mind first. What sizes of barbless hooks should I be looking at initially that will cover all the species above? I have only ever fished for Trout with a rod, and I can't remember anything about hooksize(The days that lead weights were allowed). I just stuck a worm on a hook weighted and hoped to get lucky.

Line is my second query. What line would be recommended for the above fish?

I do have one Disgorger at the moment, but intend to pick up a few more. A plummet, some shot, two floats, and some scissors from a telescopic travel kit around 4 years old.

On the list so far to give you a idea were I'm upto:

hooks, and hooks to nylon

floats

2 or 3 small swim feeders

catapult

rod rests

2 disgorger

lead free shot

float rubbers

36 inch landing net

unhooking mat

Any advice appreciated on other stuff needed, and essential would be great. I don't fancy overseeing something important, but want to be keeping it simple at the same time.

I'll save buying stuff I'll never use for later down the line hehe /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Fast ,maybe a pack of swivels and some small rubber beads to protect your knot on to the swivel,if you intend using hooklenghts that is for your swimfeeders.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
A rod and reel would also help......

The 36" landing net is on the large side for the fish you intend to catch. I'd start with a 24" pan style net, you'll find it much easier to control.

Fast Catch

Reaction score
Already chose my rods, 2 cheap and cheerful keenets combo's from Argos with a 2.25 t/c.

I would prefer a smaller net, but one of the places I will be going fishing says 36 inch minimum so I don't really have much of a choice in the matter.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Those rods are very powerfull and really not suitable for roach and perch. Their designed for targeting carp/pike in the 15lbs-40lbs range.

I'd forget the hook to nylons for now, As rod like that would require a hook lengh of at least 8lbs.

If you wish to fish the float or feeder, I'd suggest looking at some of the 'avon quiver' combinations with 1lbs to 1.25lbs tc ratings. This would suit the fish (and methods) you're looking to catch.

John Heelis

Reaction score
welcome aboard Fast,

Did your combos come already come spooled with line? I got bought a combo that was pre-spooled and the line was complete pish and strong enough to land a tanker. first thing i did was to re-spool it with decent new line.

as far as hooks are concerned i usually have a selection of 12's 14's and 18's all barbless, i like the wide gape type (but that's just a personal preference)

don't forget to buy a couple of bait boxes with tight fitting lids...maggots in the car,fridge etc..

bait drill and needle would be useful for carp bollies

Reaction score
Fast,

Take great notice of Mark's comments on the test curves of those rods. They are very strong and are geared for Carp, Pike, and big barbel in floodwater fishing. I would not recommend them for the general fishing you want to do

I would suggest that you look for rods as suggested by mark or anything that is marketed as a carp waggler.

I don't know what your budget is but this rod deal is worth looking at:http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/images/pdf/89.pdf

Abu Esprit

I am a little suspicious of reviews in most angling magazines - (I have an acquaintance who is pretty high up in a world wide fishing tackle group - and as he put it.."When was the last time you ever read a really bad review?" - most magazines survive because of the advertising revenue not just the copies sold!!) HOWEVER for anything to get a 100% review in any mag is very very unusual. So consider the Esprit Match Rod - I have an earlier Abu match model - the Zeus - and it has never let me down and has handled carp up into low double figures. -

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You,ll need a seat. And you,re list couldgo on and on. You,ll also need a tackle box.

Fast Catch

Reaction score
@Mark,

The reason I was looking at the rods was because of there bang for buck. I do intend to go pike fishing eventually, but I do see what your saying. Luckily I'm not commited to them yet. I will bear in mind the the rods tc like you pointed out.

If you don't mind me asking what is the actual reason for them not being suitable? Is it because it will send the small fish hurtling through the air? I don't want that to happen.

I will stick the hooks to nylon on the not needed list.

@John,

I haven't purchased the rods yet as said above, but it does indeed come with a free preload of line, and is Also supplied with additional spare spool and 2 spools of line. This is theKeenets Combo.

I am intending to buy new line regardless if I get free line or not.

I've wrote down them hook sizes down, and will use them as reference thanks. I may as well try the wide gape hooks out while I'm at it. Also bait drill and needle are on the list now.

Regarding the bait boxes couldn't I just use some plastic storage containers with holes in the lids if needed? They are secure fitting wise.

I plan to buy maggots on the day because I'm not allowed Maggots in the fridge. The wife won't have any of it.

@Paul,

I will have a look later online at Carp Waggler. I am on a budget of £40 for 2 rods/reels. I may be able to inject a little more money, but I can only think about that after I know what I need to get tackle wise.

Whatis the chances of getting 2 rods, and reels like the Keenets that I have been looking at that is suitable for £40. I don't fancy my chances regarding that.

@Jimmy,

I may have that already sorted . I have a storage box with quite a few compartments in the top where I could keep tackle. It has a reasonable handle, so I could transport other things inside it too, and it would definitly double up as a seat. All I would have to keep in mind is not to overload it. I will give it a look at before spending on a tackle box.

I will stick it on the to look at list for now until I test the storage container with heavy books to see if it will handle a fair ammount of weight. I think it would be perfect for me at the moment.

@Paul,

I will check that site out later thanks

Reaction score
Do you actually need two rods, t is better (For your budget) to get one better quality rods, and concentrate on that, that was, you will become good at a certain method, and then you can move on and up and buy a different rods for another purpose, as said below, i think a Carp Waggler rod will suit you best, this one is nice for the money, http://www.crazycarp.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/365 however look around as i have seen them for ?35. I used to use it and it is a brilliant piece of kit for the money.

Ryan,

(If a venue requires you have a 36" landing net, you shouldn't be fishing it - it is for specimen carp ie over 20lb and so will not be suitable for you...)

Fast Catch

Reaction score
Ryan that would have been a great idea , but I was needing 2 cheap rods for the summer holidays to take the lad, so that we can both fish together.

I got 2 rodswith reelsfor £30which will do for now(not the best of quality by far).I'm on the lookout for a better rod for myself in the next 4/5 monthslike the one you posted the details to thanks. The youngster has to show me he is going to look after this rod before I consider spending on decent stuff for him.

Regarding the landing net. I think there lines of thinking is, If it's in the water, and possible to hook then you need that size of net, I can only assume that.

There are plenty of fish of different sizes there, so it should be fine. Not keen on such a big net myself. Itlooks likeI will buy a few replacement heads of different sizesover time.

I fully understand your point, and it is a good one, but I am limited to the amount of places that I can go fishing, and I really like the place in question. It feels very relaxing, and I have caught fish on pole there which were tiny and silver. No idea what they are called.

Reaction score
Ah Fair Play taking a junior i hope you have many happy days fishing together, The main thing is that you both enjoy yourself, don't forget to take sweetcorn, it is a cheap bait, readily available and a great bait, i think it has to be one of my favorite baits of all time.

Tight Lines

Ryan

Fast Catch

Reaction score
That's for sure Ryan, andeven if we don't catch a thing, Time well spent together, but he seems patient, and at ease fishing.

I have been 2 times pole fishing with him last year, though one of the times I have been fishing his aunty beat me 7-6 with them small silvers on pole, so I tend not to mention that hehe.

I have no idea if Roman Lakes is over stocked, but the fact he mentioned, and suggested fishing this time around, The placedid the trick.Itis where I need the 36" net to fish.

Fast Catch

Reaction score
Forgot to address the sweetcorn point, I have a tin ready. I am also considering Tinned potato with honey. Worth a try.