Feeder tackle and rod/reel suggestion

waynec22

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to fishing and have an old fladen rod and reel, think it's 10 ft but as I say it is old and thinking abouta new rod and reel for feeder fishing.

Can anyone suggesta decent setup on a budget. I am getting confused with all the different lengths and versions. I enjoy fishing rivers most, don't have a specific species that I am trying to catch though. For a budget of maybe £60-80, would this get an ok rod and reel?

Also what tackle am I looking for feeder fishing, I walk into the table so and get overwhelmed by all the different types you can buy.

A pretty simple rig for a beginner, so a few open end feeders for fishing a medium flow River, a snap swivvel for attaching it to the line? I have hooks to nylon for the hook length. I see people attach beads?

Any help very much appreciated

sam vimes

Reaction score
If your local tackle shop is half way decent they should be able to advise well with your requirements and location in mind. As it stands, we don't know what area you are in and what rivers you may be talking about so it's a little difficult to advise properly.

However, I will comment on feeder rod lengths, but there is an element of personal preference. Generally, shorter rods are for shorter casts on stillwaters. I would select 9-11' rods on commercials and small natural stillwaters. They may also be of some use on very small rivers. The bigger the river, the longer the rod I'd choose. In extreme circumstances I have 14-15' feeder rods. If I were looking for an all round river feeder rod I'd be looking for a 12-13' Medium feeder rod with a selection of tips between 1 and 4 oz. That would also be usable, if slightly longer than fashionable, on stillwaters.

waynec22

Reaction score
What is the main difference between a feeder rod and an Avon quiver?

The river I have been fishing is the Derwent, I would say it is only 30ft wide so I don't cast very far at all.

sam vimes

Reaction score
What is the main difference between a feeder rod and an Avon quiver?

Often not a great deal. An Avon should be more through action and perhaps a smidge heavier than the average medium feeder rod. It will depend on the exact rods being compared though.

The river I have been fishing is the Derwent, I would say it is only 30ft wide so I don't cast very far at all.

Derbyshire or Yorkshire? Either way, as I said before, personal preference plays a part, but I would not select a tip rod of less than 11' on such a river.

waynec22

Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions and all the help

I have been looking and I can get hold of a Shakespeare Mach 3 XT 12ft Feeder rod for £50, reduced from £100. From what I've seen this is a great deal? This is the rod

Tackle2u.com | Match Poles and Carp Fishing Tackle Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield, Shimano, Prologic, jrc, Preston Innovations, Daiwa and Korum | Shakespeare Mach 3 XT Feeder Rod | Feeder Rods | Rods | Tackle2U.com Kirkgate Anglers

Also would this pair with the Shakespeare Mach 3 XT Rear Drag 040 Fishing Reel, At £40, so hopefully £90 for a pretty good setup?

Tackle2u.com | Match Poles and Carp Fishing Tackle Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield, Shimano, Prologic, jrc, Preston Innovations, Daiwa and Korum | Shakespeare MACH 3 XT Reel TO CLEAR (Rear drag) | Float/Feeder/Spinning Reels | Reels | Tackle2U.com Kirk

ratcatcher63

Reaction score
You can buy the Mach 3 XT reel for around £40 (sport direct on line or Dragon Carp dire ct are selling them too) and these are fantastic quality/value at this price. I have two and they are the best reels I have ever owned.
Regarding feeder rods for river fishing I think a 11/13 ft, 1.25/1.5 test curve avon rod would be a very sensible start - and would be useful for other fishing too. You can pick up the john wilson/masterline 11-13ft for about £50 (Tackle2U, Chapmans angling I think..)

Hope this is useful...
Good luck