Targetting perch on a commercial

fordy81

Reaction score
I've fished the lake before and had a 1 1/2 perch on a pellet. :confused:

Going back tomorrow to see if I can get into some more. You can only fish between 7am - 7pm so I appreciate I'm missing the ideal fishing times for perch. There are no pike in there, so the only predator, other than a few small eels I gather.

Am going to try and find a quiet corner with plenty of shade and cover/overhanging trees/bushes. Will be fishing with as small a float as possible, with worm on the hook, loose feeding maggot to get the minnows (of which there are loads) into the swim.

Does this sound like the best approach considering the time restraints? Or with this nice weather am I wasting my time?

C

chefster

The warm weather is,nt too bad,its the bright sunlight that the perch dont like as much,but as the light drops you should catch,try prawns as hookbait as well,they can catch some fantastic perch and also throw up a few surprises,chop some prawns up with some worms and add predator-plus liquid,and cup that in,the trouble is ,if there are carp in the lake,they will always muscle in,hence the best perch catches on commercials,are usually taken in the colder months, cheers Chef:D

fordy81

Reaction score
I underestimated the size of a worm that 1oz roach would take. :(

I got plagued by them and after doing a pot of worms gave up. lol

Maybe a rethink of tactics for next time.

C

chefster

I underestimated the size of a worm that 1oz roach would take. :(

I got plagued by them and after doing a pot of worms gave up. lol

Maybe a rethink of tactics for next time.

Did you try the prawns?,the thing is the big perch will come in if there are small roach in the area,to see whats going on or even to attack the roach..........

fordy81

Reaction score
Did you try the prawns?,the thing is the big perch will come in if there are small roach in the area,to see whats going on or even to attack the roach..........

I didn't take any, unfortunately. :(

I just got fed up with the littl'uns and was running out of worms. Perhaps I should feed maggots while I'm waiting, and if the bites slow down change over to worm?

I was half tempted to leave the little blighters hooked and swimming around the swim. :p

C

chefster

I didn't take any, unfortunately. :(

I just got fed up with the littl'uns and was running out of worms. Perhaps I should feed maggots while I'm waiting, and if the bites slow down change over to worm?

I was half tempted to leave the little blighters hooked and swimming around the swim. :p

If you,re using little peices of worm,they are going to get ragged, by small fish-you need to use whole lobworms or 2 whole dendras on a size 10 or 12 hook, ignore all the little knocks and taps and wait for the float to bury out of sight. a little trick is to stun the worms by slapping you,re rig on the surface a couple of times ,this tends to stop unwanted attentions of small fish,the only movement on the bait is then the lifts and drops , and twitches you impart on the bait...