Which Knots do you prefer?

Fast Catch

Reaction score
The time has come for me to teach myself some knots.

I was wondering which knots you prefer to use with certain types of tackle like hooks, swivels etc, and the reasons for yourchoice, if you don't mind.

There is a lot of video's on the internet showing how to tie knots, and I will be fine in regards to that, but I want to be able to make the right choices from the offset /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Reaction score
For mono and braid:

Spade end hooks - spade end knot ( I tie mine by hand but you can get hook tiers to do this)

Eyed hooks with a hair - knotless knot

Eyed hooks (no hair)and swivels - palomar or 5 turn grinner. Strong knot, doesn't strangle the line.

Bombs (when tied to the line to create a rotten bottom) - 4 turn half blood.

Create a patternoster by tieing a 4 turn water knot.

Attach hook lengths to main line using the two loop method (especially when float fishing)

That should get you going for staters. Hope that helps.

Matt

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
As per matts suggestions.

Would just say only use polymer with the modern lines when attaching swivels still tend to use knotless knot and trim the end of when tying hooks.

Spade end and eyed hooks get the same knot when using normal monos. Not that i use spades that often.

stesimo

Reaction score
I use the tie loads of knots over and over again till u cant break the point, haha but thats because im thick and cant grasp these "proper" knots

Fast Catch

Reaction score
@Matt

That's great.A little bit more of a method to the madness now.

I'm certainly going to be trying out The Palomar. I will definitly looking back at your post for future reference /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

@ Bryan

I will lookinto the knotless knot tomorrow.

Actually, I watched a video online the other week there with Matt Hayes showing how to do it, and he made it look really simple. I'm positive it was on youtube. I will try to find it again.

@Cakey

Ah, That's a good point. I keep forgetting to check out the articles. Looks very interesting from what I've just read. I will read it properly tomorrow.

@Stesimo

You could check this out. Knots demostrated with rope. It's fairly decent, and easy to follow. http://fishing-live-bait.com/fishing-knots/fishing-knots.html

Thanks All. I will be practicing over the weekend /forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

Fast Catch

Reaction score
Another good video added to my favourites, Cheers. I can see myself using that knot.