Tares

aebitim

Reaction score
Not had a lot of experience fishing tares and after being minnowed out yesterday I feel its time to give them another go.
Done the usual internet research and am looking for more info on preparing and fishing them.
The quarry is roach and the rivers are the Stour and Avon
Any up to date info on location please, Christchurch or Ringwood
waters? PMs gratefully recieved

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):)HI AEBITIM,
this is how I do mine and find it works very well on the SEVERN for ROACH
CHUB and BARBEL, make up a mix of 50/50 hemp and tares+20-25mlper kg
of liquid molasses+about one teaspoon of betaine mix this together before
cooking the flavours then penetrate well into the hemp/tares.
good luck and tight lines.
HUNTERS MOON:).

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
aebitim...............In case you haven't already done so a quick search might be worthwhile as Tares have been discussed at some length in recent weeks on one or even two Threads.

All I would add, and I have recently cooked some, is you keep an eye on the period you simmer the seeds once bought to the boil. They can become useless, turning to 'mash' if simmered too long so check them regularly - every few minutes!!

I did read one site which said simmer gently for 30mins, but for me this is way too long as mine were soft enough for the hook after 10mins. To help determine the softness I had two sizes of hook available just to check the 'hold' aspect....

Great bait if you're prepared to persevere AND the don't fall off the hook during casting!!!

Good luck - perhaps you could let us know how you fare.....??

aebitim

Reaction score
Hi Tee Cee, thanks for the reply, yes read as much as I can find on tares, general census appears to be feed hemp fish tares keep the feedrate down fish light 16 fine wire hook dont overcook them, add a rusty nail, betene , bicarb, freeze them afterward etc, just after finesse tips really specific to the water I am fishing, had some good roach last autumn/winter just after that elusive 2lb fish.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
You and me both!!

Look forward to reading about yours in the not too distant, but as they say, don't hold your breath eh?

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Feed little and often, as with most baits, to build your swim up.

It can take hours, so be prepared for a long wait; some places respond quite quickly and others will not so you may want to pre-bait (couple of handfuls) one swim and fish another, you then have the option of two methods.

Hemp will often be taken on the drop once the fish are 'Havin It', so there are two reasons to keep any shot around the base of your float:

1) Your hook bait will fall more slowly
2) The fish will try to take your shot

You will need to watch your float like a hawk for any signs of activity as this might tell you what's going on such as if they are up in the water.

Minnows will have hemp, so be ready.

Search your swim, often the bigger fish will hold back away from the main shoal / feeding area, so you could try to cast around the area where you are feeding. You could (contrary to above advice) put a slightly bigger float on if they are feeding well and put shot closer to your hook (e.b. 200 - 300mm) to get your bait through the small stuff of draw it back into your feeding area. If you use small shot (down the line as in above), bunch it together, it doesn;t always work, but it can put the fish off going for your shot.

Occasional bread punch hook bait may reward you with a bonus fish.

Food for thought I hope, well done for using hemp, it can be such a good bait on its day.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Talking of bread (as an alternative change bait when using tares) another way well worth a try is to cut small cubes of crust from the edge of a fresh cut loaf. The cubes should be no more than 5mm square and once cut, and prior to putting them on the hook, they should be squashed flat between finger and thumb - and I mean squashed flat!
This means they can be easily mounted on a very small hook (I use a 16 but sometimes a 14) and they will cast very well without coming off. I invariably fish them 'on the drop' and they can take fish on the way down but once down the cube will swell very nicely and offer a soft, almost melting bait.
I used to think the cube would remain flat from the squashing and end up a hard unattractive bait in the water, but not so as trial and error in the sink at home proved otherwise. Obviously the cubes only last the one cast being so soft but on a good day they take quality fish with the float (in most cases!) just sliding away.....

I recall reading about one famous angler from years ago who used to cut lengths of crust in narrow strips and roll flat with a rolling pin, cut them into small cubes at home, put them in a airtight tin just to save time on the bank...never tried it myself though........

All of this has nothing to do with Tares but I have, as I said, used them as a change bait to tares alternating one to the other.

anyway it might be worth a try if you get bored waiting for the 2lb'ers to take the tares!!

Good luck!

aebitim

Reaction score
Many thanks chaps, any thoughts on feeding mashed/liquidised bread when fishing tares? not sure if this would be counter productive. Found it very effective last winter when fishing squashed bread but doesnt seem to be working this year [yet]
Out tomorow hopefully, will let you know how I get on.