Moving on

Max Power

Reaction score
Hi,

I have caught small raoch and perch with maggorts about 3 metres out, fishing in the shallows of a small lake and i was wondering how i start going about getting something bigger (i have only started fishing so species dosn't matter all that much)?

P.S. I orginally started fishing for pike but read on the internet that it was best to wait until wintertime, is this true?

L

Luke Allsop

I catch pike from GrasmereandRydal waterall year round and I think the fishing is better in summer, the only drawback is the fact that you get marauded by dozens of tourists!

M

MarkTheSpark

Max, we really need to know more about your experience and tackle to answer the question. And fill in your profile - we're sticklers for good manners around here....

Max Power

Reaction score
The tackle l'm using is a simple waggler flaot fished 3 metres out from the peg with a size 14 hook, at a depth of about 3 foot. But i can get better tackle if nessary.

well, as to experience i have next to none, just using the above method to catch small raoh and perch.

IS that enough info?

M

MarkTheSpark

From the sound of things, you have a problem casting, because three metres is not even a rodlength. The casting issue will be partly one of skill, but more than likely an underfilled reel spool/ too heavy a main line; and too light a float. That's VERY shallow water you're fishing in; sometimes fine, but in deeper water your casting in will cause less disturbance to feeding fish.

I'd recommend you use 4 lb main line, filled right to the brim of the spool, and then step down to 1 1/2lb BS hooklengths. If you haven't learned to tie spade-end hooks yet, either learn (it's easy with a Drennan hook tyer) or buy hooks to nylon. You should stick with size 16 and 18 for the small fish you are catching, but these are easily strong enough to land much bigger fish if you are careful. Size 14 is quite a large hook - I'd happily tackle 5lb tench or 7lb bream on a 14.

I'm assuming you're using a match rod between 11 ft and 13 ft long; if not, get one; that is possibly the most useful style of rod you will ever own.

Let us know how you get on, Max. And welcome to FM

Max Power

Reaction score
yes, i have a match rod 3.3 metres long, how deep should i be fishing to get a 5Ib tench or 7Ib bream with a flaot ( i know how to plumb the depth) ? will 5Ib line do? and casting isn't a problem, i just wasn't sure where i should fish. thanks!!!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Forget the pike for now.

Also don't worry about 5lbs tench or 7lbs bream.

Stick to the margins for now, and fish on the bottom. That will give you best chance of a tench or bigger roach and perch. Maybe worth a try with worms for a bigger than average fish?

Difficult to say much more at this stage. All I can add is 'don't try to run before you can walk' and make sure you enjoy what you're doing - otherwise its very easy to loose interest.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
If you know how to plumb the depth............. then on the bottom is - full depth.

M

MarkTheSpark

As Mark says, 90% of the fish will feed at the bottom, so plumbing the depth is vitally important, Max. The bottom is also where most of your loosefeed or groundbait will end up, so no surprise that this is where you'll catch fish.

The advantage of float fishing is that it allows you to search the area in front of you for fish, so you won't be plumbing the depth just once, but several times as you cast to different areas trying to get a bite.

The two schools of thought are that 1) you feed and area and keep fishing it until the roaming fish find your groundbait or 2) cast to different areas, loosefeeding lightly, until you get bites then stepping up the loosefeed a little and catching the fish where they are.

It's your call which you go for but I'm more the second method.

Fast Catch

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>MarkTheSpark wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I'd recommend you use 4 lb main line, filled right to the brim of the spool, and then step down to 1 1/2lb BS hooklengths. If you haven't learned to tie spade-end hooks yet, either learn (it's easy with a Drennan hook tyer) or buy hooks to nylon. You should stick with size 16 and 18 for the small fish you are catching, but these are easily strong enough to land much bigger fish if you are careful. Size 14 is quite a large hook - I'd happily tackle 5lb tench or 7lb bream on a 14. </blockquote>

I use asize 14 hook, and have had a quite a few small fish take it easily, and they were easily under 1lb. Bait size is what seemed to matter in regards to myself.

Infact, They have mostly all been small fish(crucian), It is my prefered hook size at the moment. I don't have any faith in the 18.

Welcome Max /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I am looking at doing Pike Fishing next summer onwards. I may even go for a proper lesson this Xmas as a present to myself /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Max Power

Reaction score
Ok, so i plumbed the dept 4 metres out and its almost a rod lenght ( 3.3 metres) is that enough?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Thats good, quite deep margings. I'd start by fishing worm hard on the bottom, feeding with maggots and chopped worm, if there's good perch around the should find them. Every chance of a tench or decent roach if they move in.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
If it's nearly a rod's length deep, you may find a fixed float a bit of a pain to cast, and prone to wrapping the line round the rod tip while you unhook and bait up. Type "sliding float " into the "Search Forum"box at the top of the page, and you'll find all sorts of good info on fishing the slider - much better behaved!