learning from TV shows

Reaction score
Hi All
as a bit of a newbie i wondered what TV shows (if any) you prefer to watch. There seems to be "proper" fishing shows and then generic "entertainment" fishing shows.

Personally i like a bit of River Monsters as far as entertainment goes and i would like to enjoy Rod and Rucksack but the presenter seems to do nothing but complain!!! but i really do enjoy watching the likes of Matt Hayes and John Wilson as the pure passion is infectious.

what are your views ?

thanks

Neil

Reaction score
and for pure muppetry and a guide on how to have no angling skills whatsoever - anything with Robson Green in it (the proud face of Dunlop Angling Products*-available at your nearest Sports Dirtect)

*WTF is Dunlop doing making angling gear???? Talk about spreading your expertise thinly.

Richard Jamieson 2

Reaction score
I always enjoyed "The Muppet Show" in my early years and regardless of what the seriously angling orientated may think, Robson Green, with all his faults has probably contributed to more new fishermen (and a welcome boost to the sport in general) than everybody else on TV combined. However, once they become fishermen, the same people, having read a good slagging of him on the Internet, will no doubt dismiss him as the Kermit of his age and forget that it was him that got them into the sport in the first place. :)

wanderer

Reaction score
Stage managed rubbish, a passion for angling has no equal, go to you tube some of the videos are fantastic.

kenpm

Reaction score
and for pure muppetry and a guide on how to have no angling skills whatsoever - anything with Robson Green in it (the proud face of Dunlop Angling Products*-available at your nearest Sports Dirtect)

*WTF is Dunlop doing making angling gear???? Talk about spreading your expertise thinly.

"Dunlop" do not make angling gear but Sports Direct own the rights to Dunlop sports gear name along with other firms that went under and have the name branded on their cheap chinese tat much like they own previously respected angling names like "Image" and "Boss" but that is the only connection.

Yes Robson Green is an insult to Angling too.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
PFA makes my skin crawl two posh beardy buggers "oh mummy my olives are tempering"
Still it did have a dog as a bite alarm that couldn't have been staged could it ?
Lets take our cane rods and go and have a gudgeon off for half a cider.

CTI on the other hand was brilliant.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
APFA was superb... (case in point.. Bob James didn't use cane) it summed up what angling should be.... FUN

CTI is good though

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
What can you learn from angling tv?
Well one lesson might be don't tell your mate when you are going fishing in case he sneaks round your house and sleeps with your wife :wh;)

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
PFA makes my skin crawl two posh beardy buggers "oh mummy my olives are tempering"
Still it did have a dog as a bite alarm that couldn't have been staged could it ?
Lets take our cane rods and go and have a gudgeon off for half a cider.

Off yer soap box Benny :D

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

What can you learn from angling tv?

You have to get off channel 906 first M'Lud :wh;)

wanderer

Reaction score
Off yer soap box Benny :D

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

You have to get off channel 906 first M'Lud :wh;)

They displayed the fact that they thoroughly enjoyed angling and personally I loved the series, what could I learn, to enjoy with a deeper meaning than just catching, it will always be the best for me.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
They displayed the fact that they thoroughly enjoyed angling and personally I loved the series, what could I learn, to enjoy with a deeper meaning than just catching, it will always be the best for me.

Abso-f£(&in-lutely spot on sir.....:cool:

wa1115

Reaction score
I find I learn a lot from online fishing shows nowadays, YouTube is your friend. I used to watch John Wilson in my youth with my dad after the weekly big shop with a packet of scampi n lemon niknaks.

thecrow

Reaction score
Was passion made during the closed season? when was the last time anyone came across a pair that spoke and acted like those two? far to false for me.

Catching was the best for me, although some of it was on waters not available to the general angling public but that could be said of passion and other fishing films.

Cant say I have learned anything from fishing films, all of them are far to contrived, they have to be to entertain the watcher.