Rainbow trout advice

cbeattie92

Reaction score
Going to a fishery tomorrow and will be fishing with worms and a pencil float. Any advice would be great. Fish on the bottom or what depth?

greenie62

Reaction score
Depends a lot on the depth of the water - I'd be looking at a slider rig if very deep - or you could try fishing as deep as you can cast comfortably, with bulk shot beneath the float and fish the worm 'on the drop'. 'bows' will sometimes track worms down through the water - salivating as they make their mind up - before a 'smash and grab'! A bait-runner or open-bale arm might be a good idea unless you want to lose a rod!:eek::rolleyes:
Tight Lines:thumbs:

cbeattie92

Reaction score
Thanks for that sir. Haven't fished in a long time and trying to get into it a bit now. Going to try Annaginny fishery tomorrow (Home Page) before moving onto some rivers and lakes over the summer. I've got myself some 6lb line and size 12 barbed hooks along with some shot weights and a waggler float. I assume that should do the job? Any other advice on different gear or what I should do differently?

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Rainbows can be caught at any depth, but deeper maybe the best option in summer. I like to get my baits down in the bottom 1/4 of water column on sunny days. Having said that, it's not like actually coarse fishing where the bait often needs to be very close, if not on the bottom.

cbeattie92

Reaction score
Any tips for getting high quantity of fish? Or bigger fish? What way should I be fishing to target each of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on the clarity of the water at that venue it is probably best to employ a roving technique and try to spot the larger fish and then target those individually.

If not too far away from the margins (that at some point in the day they will patrol anyway) then a free-lined worm cast to a chosen fish should do the business for you.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Depending on the clarity of the water at that venue it is probably best to employ a roving technique and try to spot the larger fish and then target those individually. If not too far away from the margins (that at some point in the day they will patrol anyway) then a free-lined worm cast to a chosen fish should do the business for you.

Good post. If that's an option for the OP, then that's the way to go. Nothing more exciting than sight fishing!

cbeattie92

Reaction score
66f2455307f0505988269e59ee7e57f0.jpg
ended up with these 2 on a waggler float set at 4ft deep. The lake was around 6-7ft deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk