Next question

magellan

Reaction score
This weeks numpty questions – 1, when tying eyed hooks, Snell or knotless? 2, On still waters has the method made other feeders obsolete?

I have two rods, a Daiwa 13 ft match which I’ve been using for the lighter end of waggler fishing. And many years ago I bought a fibre glass Avon 11ft blank, good quality rings and built a very nice rod. I didn’t use it much at the time and it’s been stored in good conditions so its in mint condition. I’m thinking it will be fine for all kinds of feeder/bomb fishing? So I’m thinking a good pellet waggler rod will fill the gap? Any suggestion?

Mike

john step

Reaction score
1 and 2 as above.

The gap may not be where you think it is? I have a Daiwa team match rod rated for lines up to 8lb. Just depends on the specs.of your rod. The term match rod covers many sins.
The Avon would be suitable for the carpy type venues for maybe floater fishing where no snags or tench/bream size fish. If it has a screw end eye you can get away with a screw in quiver for better bite indication on the lead.

That is until you get fed up with the weight of glass and decide to fill the gap at this end with a modern feeder(bomb) rod with several size tips. They can be picked up for a very reason able price.

Just my take on it. Others will have different ideas.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
I'm a late convert to the uni-knot. Easy to tie and subjectively very strong. Having said that, no knot tied badly with cut the mustard.

magellan

Reaction score
1 and 2 as above.

The gap may not be where you think it is? I have a Daiwa team match rod rated for lines up to 8lb. Just depends on the specs.of your rod. The term match rod covers many sins.
The Avon would be suitable for the carpy type venues for maybe floater fishing where no snags or tench/bream size fish. If it has a screw end eye you can get away with a screw in quiver for better bite indication on the lead.

Thanks John, the Avon does take a screw in quiver. I thought that eventually it would get replace, so you think the right replacement now would give me two rods covering most eventualities? Any suggestions? guys

Mike

magellan

Reaction score
I’m not looking for an Avon rod Paul, I was looking for something to sit between my Daiwa match rod and my elderly Avon rod. What John seems to advocate is giving the match rod more credit and replacing the Avon with a modern rod of wider scope. At least I think that’s what he’s saying :confused: as for my budget absolute max £150 less would be nice.

Mike

john step

Reaction score
I’m not looking for an Avon rod Paul, I was looking for something to sit between my Daiwa match rod and my elderly Avon rod. What John seems to advocate is giving the match rod more credit and replacing the Avon with a modern rod of wider scope. At least I think that’s what he’s saying :confused: as for my budget absolute max £150 less would be nic

Mike

Mike, what I am saying is that...Check your Daiwa specs because if its a modern carbon(?) it may have a good range. Some specify from 3lb to 8lb lines.
8lb is top end with 6lb I would guess to be better. You can do a lot with 6lb lines. Depending on where you intend to fish.

The glass rod is still OK for a bit beefier fishing for now.

If your match rod is a good spec. then you may enjoy fishing on the bomb or feeder with a modern light carbon rod with a choice of tips instead of making the glass rod do it all.

Looking through catalogues I see feeder rods go between 40 to 70 quid before the tackle tart prices kick in.

If you fish commies and/or your match rod is an older sort maybe suitable for lines up to say 4lb then you are right looking at a pellet chucker with more muscle.

Just get out there and enjoy it and the choices will become clear.

magellan

Reaction score
Cheers John, my match rod is indeed rated to 8 pound, one of my local commercials is plagued with weed and I have used 6 pound line to bully decent fish out of the weed with this rod. being a fan of Daiwa I'm attracted to the "Team Daiwa commercial feeder rod" I assume these two rods will cover the majority of my fishing. At present I'm using commercials to practice my skills.

Mike

magellan

Reaction score
Went to my local tackle shop today to have a look at the rod I mentioned above. They had one in stock, but when I explained what I was looking for they advised the Yank & Bank 10ft Feeder Rod, saying it would do what I needed at nearly half the price so thats the way I went. Bought some feeders and bombs and I'm ready to go.

Mike

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi Mike,
No matter if it was half the price - I still couldn't bear to buy a rod entitled 'Yank & Bank' :eek: - at quarter price .... maybe! :eek::D

Let us know how you get on with it :thumbs:

magellan

Reaction score
Yes, not the most subtle bit of marketing. And I have to admit it's what put me off whilst researching this, but the chap at the shop assured me it was a good choice and he could have sold me the dearer one without much effort.

Mike