Spooling first baitcaster

itsraw

Reaction score
i have just ordered a new rod and reel and it will be my first timew spooling a baitcaster.

My question is if i use a mono backing does it matter if my mono has less capacity than my braided line?

Or is it not required to do a backing and i can just spool with braid only?

Thanks

Keith M

Reaction score
You don't say what type of fishing you will be doing; however; If you don't need to add backing mono then why use mono at all? (unless it's for monetary reasons) as you are only adding extra knots.

NB: I never use braid on my reels unless I'm distance casting from a beach (and using a mono leader) or I'm drop shotting anyway. however I do use braid occasionally for my hooklengths.

Most coarse fishing venues in the U.K. ban its use for reel lines anyway.

Keith

Last edited:

itsraw

Reaction score
You don't say what type of fishing you will be doing; however; If you don't need to add backing mono then why use mono at all? (unless it's for monetary reasons) as you are only adding extra knots.

NB: I never use braid on my reels unless I'm distance casting from a beach (and using a mono leader) or I'm drop shotting anyway. however I do use braid occasionally for my hooklengths.

Most coarse fishing venues in the U.K. ban its use for reel lines anyway.

Keith

Thanks for the reply Keith.

I will be lure fishing for pike / perch in somewhat snaggy areas.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
I'm relatively inexperienced as only been lure fishing a few months but I only use braid!!!

The lack of stretch gives you better feel and allows you to set the hooks with more accuracy.

Everything I have read for lire fishing recommends using braid if your budget allows it.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
If you are using a baitcaster for the first time and you are loading it with braid you must have a very healthy budget to cope with your first half dozen birds nests....:D

wardalan1987

Reaction score
To be honest mine has always been loaded with braid and I have not destroyed my line on the spool. As long as you take care to ensure you set the brake correctly and only let it out bit by bit as you gain confidence you should be fine. It's not as bad as people make out. Or I didn't find it bad anyway

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
To be honest mine has always been loaded with braid and I have not destroyed my line on the spool. As long as you take care to ensure you set the brake correctly and only let it out bit by bit as you gain confidence you should be fine. It's not as bad as people make out. Or I didn't find it bad anyway

There are three other considerations, one is to load the braid onto the spool tightly, having done so follow the manufacturers instructions to balance the reel. This will change according to differing weights of lures. And last but not least resist the urge as most newbies do to shoot for the horizon. And avoid the urge to cast light lures into a cross wind. Adhering to these should go some way to enjoy trouble free lure fishing.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
I think that's the key when making the move to a baitcaster. Be patient and take baby steps, like you say resist the urge to go for the huge cast.

Eventually with time and practice you will become less dependant upon the braking system and the distance you can cast will increase. I haven't looked back since making the move.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A slight thread resurrection here!

When loading line onto a Baitcaster spool is it necessary to fill the spool like you would a fixed spool or do you treat it like a pin and only put on enough for the range you will fish?

mikench

Reaction score
John I was told to treat it like a fs reel but to put on slightly less ! I have struggled with my baitcaster to regularly avoid birds nests. I only use it for sea fishing with small lures, spinners and plugs up to 60 grams. I can cast well 9 out 10 but then forget to feather the line the next time and get a birds nest! I also forget to adjust the brake after changing the lure!

I like the theory of them and once spent several hours casting into the sea and concluded at the end that I had cracked it! Next time out I got a birds nest! I have tried both braid and mono with the same results!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The birds nest problem is the only thing that concerns me but the advice is to start with gentle casts and with practice build up. The reel I'm looking at is a Shimano Caeton which looks just perfect in terms of shape, size, weight and most importantly, price! The only part I'm concerned about is having to remove a side plate to adjust the brake.

Anyone got one of these reels?

mikench

Reaction score
Mine is an ABU silver something or other and can be adjusted without taking of the side casing! I think the brake is magnetic! It too was cheap; just as well!:rolleyes:

Remember John to make sure to order your reel with either a left or right hand rewind to suit as the handle is not interchangeable .

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Remember John to make sure to order your reel with either a left or right hand rewind to suit as the handle is not interchangeable .

Yep, I've at least sussed that one out. Don't care for the American idea of using a right hand reel for right handers and switching hands after every cast.:confused:

mikench

Reaction score
I am right handed and cast with my right hand but rewind with my left! I don't know what that says about me! Normal I guess!;)

John Keane

Reaction score
The biggest likelihood of a birds-nest is using a multiplier for beachcasting and there are a couple of basic principles that transfer to a baitcaster. Load your line on as tight as you can get it to avoid any bedding-in when winding back a weight or after playing a fish. Don’t over-fill the spool, a gap of around 1/8” between the lip of the spook and the line level is a must. If your reel has magnetic braking, start casting with the mags fully ON and back them off gradually as you get more relaxed with your casting. Finally try to accelerate smoothly into a cast as hitting it with a jerk will cause a birdie.

Gnasher

Reaction score
The way to avoid birds nests is to set the casting clutch properly. This is the knurled dial on the side of the reel. There are 2 clutches. One is the fighting clutch (the star shaped thing under the winder) the other is the casting clutch.
Open the reel to cast.
With your chosen lure on tighten/loosen the clutch so the lure drops slowly to the ground, ie it takes line off the reel under its own weight and not just falls without resistance.
This is ok to cast now but you need to readjust for each different lure you use.
Over-runs are caused by the spool paying out line faster than the lure takes up in flight. As the lure is slowing in flight you can slow the spool turning by feathering it with your thumb.
If you need to know more just ask me.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I totally get the concept of the spool tensioner but I don't get the thinking behind having a braking system, does that not duplicate the actions of the spool tensioner?

mikench

Reaction score
Did you buy one in the end and which model was it? I might try a left handed one. Which 20/25 lb Braid would you recommend John.

John Keane

Reaction score
I totally get the concept of the spool tensioner but I don't get the thinking behind having a braking system, does that not duplicate the actions of the spool tensioner?

The slowly falling lure to adjust the spool tension is a bit of a red herring as you wouldn’t employ that on a beach caster. Adjust the end tension so there is the tiniest bit of play and deploy magnets or centrifugal brakes. In answer to s63 the centrifugal brake blocks or magnets work differently to the spool end tensioner as they are there to smooth out a jerky cast so the spool doesn’t overrun. When all is said about end tension and braking systems the best friend of a multiplier caster is smooth acceleration and his biggest enemy is jerkiness or snatching. Let the rod and reel do the work.