Hooks to Nylon

thameside

Reaction score
Starting back into coarse fishing and need some help in hook selection . I am after hooks to nylon in sizes 16 to 20 and barbless . Have done a bit of a search but found nothing conclusive . I can't thread the line through an eye . I do have a hook tyer , but for the time being it would be easier just to get some decent advice .
Steve

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I normally use the Drennan Spade hooks to nylon. If going for silvers etc I tend to use the Silverfish Maggot in 16s or 18s. Up until yesterday they've never let me down - two of them failed at the loop. Didn't break but pulled through. I like to think that the fish I lost as a result were absolute monsters but in reality were sub 1lb skimmers.

I'm hoping it was just a bad batch as I've got about 10 or so packs of them.

As I said until yesterday they've never let me down and I must've used in excess of 100 hooklengths or so in the last six months and caught fish much bigger than my trademark 6oz snotter.

john step

Reaction score
The problem with hook sizes since you have been away from coarse fishing is that there doesn't seem to be an absolute standard anymore.
Some 16s seem like someone else's 14s for instance.

You will probably, like most others, find a series of hooks you like and stick to them.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
I normally use the Drennan Spade hooks to nylon. If going for silvers etc I tend to use the Silverfish Maggot in 16s or 18s. Up until yesterday they've never let me down - two of them failed at the loop. Didn't break but pulled through. I like to think that the fish I lost as a result were absolute monsters but in reality were sub 1lb skimmers.

Do you mean the loop-to-loop connection point? The hooklength loop should be passed over the mainline loop, then the hook is passed through the mainline loop before carefully drawing tight. Passing the hooklength loop through the mainline loop and then passing the hook through the hooklength loop causes strangulation and creates a weak point.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Hi Steve how you doing mate,

Plenty of companies out there to choose from :

Drennan, kamasan, Preston, Guru, Tubertini, Daiwa, Korum etc,

At one time I'd never really trust hooks to nylon but with modern technology and the much improved industrial tying machines used the pre tied hooks are now so much better and I'm quite happy to use em meself in the small hook ranges up to about size 14,
Any thing bigger than 14 wide gape I now tend to tie by hand :D

Speak soon

thameside

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies . I think I will look for the Kamasan hooks , second choice Drennan . I was surprised not to see Mustad not being mentioned . Are their hooks to nylon not very good ?

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies . I think I will look for the Kamasan hooks , second choice Drennan . I was surprised not to see Mustad not being mentioned . Are their hooks to nylon not very good ?

Yea I suppose that the Mustard are ok but just don't really see much of em about nowadays, the other brands appear to be a lot more popular :thumbs:

STEVE mate have you realised that it's me yet as I've heard no response from yer, I'm Stuart from WSF you sent me a PM a few days ago and mentioned something about blogs etc :D

speak soon

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Do you mean the loop-to-loop connection point? The hooklength loop should be passed over the mainline loop, then the hook is passed through the mainline loop before carefully drawing tight. Passing the hooklength loop through the mainline loop and then passing the hook through the hooklength loop causes strangulation and creates a weak point.

I know what you mean but I've got my loop to loop connection right - no 'larks tails' as I believe they're commonly known. The loop on the pre-tied hooklength had just pulled through or snapped off - when I reeled in all that was left was the perfectly tied loop in my mainline. Bear in mind that this hooklength had already caught about 4 or 5 lb of skimmers, so it was definitely on OK.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
In using Drennan Silverfish 16 to 22 barbless I have only had two breakages (when pulling for a break) and both were just below the hook length loop. This proves nothing really as in general fishing they have always been reliable. When roach fishing with 20/22's (the latter to 1lb 10oz line is what it says on the packet!) I have landed many carp up to 9lbs or so, with the occasional bigger beast, and with the hook only slightly 'opened' out from the fight.
A good off the shelf hook to nylon available in most shops with many variations, such as wide gape/micro barbed, as well.........Sharpness pretty good, and cheap enough if the hook length kinks or frays.

That should guarantee at least two dozen freebies in the post, come Monday!

thameside

Reaction score
Yea I suppose that the Mustard are ok but just don't really see much of em about nowadays, the other brands appear to be a lot more popular :thumbs:

STEVE mate have you realised that it's me yet as I've heard no response from yer, I'm Stuart from WSF you sent me a PM a few days ago and mentioned something about blogs etc :D

speak soon

Sorry Stuart a bit all over the place at the mo .