Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Circle Hooks

Default Re: Circle Hooks

Don't forget that they say to use Circle hooks two sizes larger than the equivalent J hook, so your 14 - 18's are the equivalent of conventional 16 - 22's, pretty small !

Not sure if, as self hookers, they will work with a non-agressive non-predatory species like Roach ? Be interesting to find out if you have any positive results with them.

I got a little bit interested in small circle hooks way back when, when they first came out but didn't persist with them enough to either satisfy myself that they worked better than a J hook or didn't.

2. Default Re: Circle Hooks

Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    Don't forget that they say to use Circle hooks two sizes larger than the equivalent J hook, so your 14 - 18's are the equivalent of conventional 16 - 22's, pretty small
    Didn't realise that . By luck have ordered size 12 so should be ok .

Here's a photo of a true circle hook - it's a Mustad Demon.

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/mus...cle~14030.html

A circle hook has a point which is aligned at 90 degrees to the hook shank. It's used mainly for bigger baits ( I've used them with sprats/smelt/sardines for pike and lob worms for perch) where the timing of the strike can be hard to judge. The hook's designed so that it only catches on the edge of the mouth. Most pike I catch on circle are hooked neatly in the scissors and so they are very easy to unhook.

The smallest Mustad Demon is a size 12.

There was a discussion on this forum recently about circle hooks.

Circle hooks for Pike
    Last edited by keora; 21-03-2017 at 07:34.

Quote Originally Posted by keora View Post
    Here's a photo of a true circle hook - it's a Mustad Demon.

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/mus...cle~14030.html

A circle hook has a point which is aligned at 90 degrees to the hook shank. It's used mainly for bigger baits ( I've used them with sprats/smelt/sardines for pike and lob worms for perch) where the timing of the strike can be hard to judge. The hook's designed so that it only catches on the edge of the mouth. Most pike I catch on circle are hooked neatly in the scissors and so they are very easy to unhook.

The smallest Mustad Demon is a size 12.

There was a discussion on this forum recently about circle hooks.

Circle hooks for Pike
    Spot on, well said

Exactly me point that I made on post 9 of this thread

Hi Stuart get in touch mate! Mike

These are worth a look

LymeBay Tackle

I use these for Lobs for Perch - others on this forum do to.

i found these ideal when the fish is hooked its very hard for them to come off all you need to get the hook out is a small paire of pinchers.

Iv'e only skimmed through this and wondered if you could use them with maggots for Perch and Roach on the Canal and what size. Really hate deep hooking fish, especially small greed perch

9. Default Re: Circle Hooks

Not relevant in one way , but bought a pack of the Sakuma hooks in 3/0 for sea fishing a couple of weeks ago . Fished deal pier and person I went with kept getting snagged with standard hooks , as a couple of times hooks came back straightened . Where as the circle hooks didn't snag . But didn't catch anything with them .
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12