Tele-Pole setup?

clydebuilt

Reaction score
I have a couple of poles now, but have no real idea how I should be setting them up or working them.

I think 'normal' put-over poles would be easier, but mine are telescopic so its not so easy to shorten sections at will and work out rig length etc...

Can anyone help out here with an idiots guide to telescopic poles?

BTW: Mine are a 4m whip, a 7m margin and an 11m pole.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Whips are usually telescopic for the 1st 3 sections and the butt section(s) is usually put over. Poles are usually put overs except on some older ones the top 2/3 are telescopic, the no1 section is usually discarded but is telescopic.
Try taking them to a tackle shop on a quiet day when they're not too busy and get them to show you.

Last edited:

clydebuilt

Reaction score
Cheers Fella!

Yes..completely telescopic, all three. Now obviously the wand one is as you say, simply lifted to hand. Not so simple with 7m and upwards though.
Till now Ive been sliding back the main part of the pole and slotting a few when possible, not the easiest thing to do with a huffy tench on board.

So I slide the whole shebang backwards?
Im still not so certain on the length of the rig after that, perhaps 4-5ft of line and a stroppy roach to deal with.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Your rig should be the same length as the whip, not so easy at 7m and very tricky at 11m. The longer ones require a heavier float 1gr+ and are better suited to fishing flowing rivers.

clydebuilt

Reaction score
Thanks Peter!

Cant justify the cost of 'proper' pole for now, but on its day its great fun to use.
Even if the 11m is too much to handle, I'll use it for my ham radio thing.